1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best truck for Salt unit

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wyldman, Jan 24, 2001.

1. wyldman

wyldman Member

Looking at adding another plow/salter unit.We need 4-5 ton salt capacity,and a nine or ten foot blade.I would prefer a pickup over a medium duty truck,due to licenses required,cost of licensing and insurance.Any ideas on a pickup with a high enough GVWR to carry a 9-10 ft blade and a large v-box or dump bodytailgate unit.I have also looked at some of the HinoMitsubishi style cabover's.Anyone use these and how do they hold up.
  2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

You will need at least a F-550 to carry that weight and plow. Even the Hinos and MF in 4wd form only have a 15000 gvw.
    One option would be a double acting body on a 450/550 chassis. You will then save a 1000# of weight from not having to use a slide in hopper.
  3. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

My opinion:

I feel the best plow combo you could put together is a Mitsubishi FH (17,960GVW).automatic,central hydraulics,Boss9'Vplow,4 yard Downeaster sander mounted directly to frame.
    We been using one since 1993 and to boot it is 2 wheel drive.No pickup could ever come close to turning radius.This truck doesn't owe me a dime.
    Just my opinion!!!
  4. guido

guido PlowSite.com Veteran

Whats the max GVW in CT w/o a CDL ?? is it 20,000 or less??

5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i think you dont need a cdl under 26000
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Definitley a 550. You might want to check into a Freightliner FL20 (I think), it has a 19,000 GVW and would probably outlast a 550. I'm not sure on price, we looked at one but no in detail.
  7. PAPlow

PAPlow Member

Friend of mine has a 99 F550 Stake body with a 9' Curtis. Not sure of the weight capacity...but I know he hauls lots of block being a custom mason.
  8. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

IN CT it has to be under 26,000 GVW and it has to have no air brakes. I think you would be better off with a Freightliner or Ford F-600 I dont think that you could put a 10' blade on anything smaller. Just My two cents
  9. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Don't buy a Frieghtliner. Talk to any DPW or State DOT, Fire Departments also have problems with Freighliners.

If you want something that is nimble, go with an F 550. You can use one to do driveways, but it isn't as easy as a 1 ton or pick up.

If you are plowing big wide open lots. Get an F 650 which in under CDL. Get a 10' plow and a large v-box or under the tailgate spreader, and your truck will be great.

10. Mike Nelson

This is regulated by the federal government.They write the rules and all states must comply.

Technically if your truck is over 18000lbs. and is used commercially you must have a non-CDL classC(N.Y.).The rental truck companies are classified as non commercial(up to 26000lbs).

In New York drivers who drive a vehicle over 18000lbs.,but less than 26000lbs.You are required to possess a NON-CDL class C license.Just one more way for them to make MONEY!!!!
    Remember the dealers just sell the trucks.It is only protecting you if your drivers have their CDL.Some of the info that is on the tests might be needed some day if a situation arose. Hope this info helps.
  11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Geoff, I had heard about 6-7 years ago that Freightliners had a lot of problems, I thought they might have taken care of them by now, but apparently not. Have you heard anything about Sterlings?

Regarding CDL's, the federal gov't sets minimum standards which the states must comply with, but individual states can have more restrictive regulations.
  12. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

The only problem with an F550 is its payload.The empty operating weight of my friends 2000 F550 4x4,PSD,auto,with 9' Fisher blade(not MC),and 2 yd stainless V-box,10 ft dump,is almost 11K lbs,this leaves only 3 tons of payload,and you need 5,I dont think itll be a problem,but if you get stopped while full or run into someone-then it will.It depends on if you want to be legal or not,i think 99% of the trucks on the road with V-boxes are overweight.I would probably buy the F550,because if its year round uses for me and size.We also hjave one of the best Ford dealers in NY state just a mile up the road.
  13. lawnboy53

lawnboy53 Member

Mike, How does your Mitsu plow? I'm assuming since it is 18k gvw it is 2wd. Been thinking about a smaller isuzu, 13k gvw for my lots and sand truck. Dont have mitsu here. We only get 8-10 pushaes a year here in the non-snowbelt Nebraska. Most storms are 1-6" with an occasional 8-12 thrown in. Do you chain it up or just load the box?
    thanks, Craig
  14. wyldman

wyldman Member

Thanks for all the info guys,but we have decided to install a liquid sprayer setup (300 Gal),on one of our summer trucks,an 86 F350 dually,and pre-wetting systems on all our other salters.I know it is a gamble,but the sprayer systems and tanks are really cheap,and the liquid setup is so much lighter.Not to mention how much cheaper it is to plate,insure and maintain a lower GVW truck.I'll keep you updated on the liquid setup and how it works.Thanks again.
  15. Mike Nelson

Yes it is 2 wheel and I feel any of the cabovers should work well for you.We just load and go.As long as we have weight we have traction.The 13500 gvw trucks I believe have a lighter front end, but in your case you could buy a plow accordingly.Diesel, only 4 cylinder? Again I feel you should be o.k. You will love the turning radius.Good Luck!
  16. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

The Isuzu 4 cyl is "only" 4.6L.
  17. K&C

K&C Junior Member

We are also very interested in plowing and salting with cabover trucks. We have had Isuzu van body landscape maintenance trucks in use for almost three years and couldn't be happier. The biggest problem we have had with cabovers is getting the weight distribution / cab-axle calculations correct. Considering that a v-box spreader uses material from front to back, have you had any problems with too much or too little weight on the front axle? Our experience has been that they are a little bit sensitive due to the short wheelbases. We are HUGE fans of plowing with 2wd dual rear wheel trucks. We had a big storm down here in 1996 and the only trucks that broke down were 4wd - mostly from drivers trying to do too much. A 2wd with weight does it's work with mass, not the clutch or transmission. If the driver tries to do too much, traction breaks loose. We still use 4wd pickups, but mostly for details. Thanks.
  18. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I might go with a chevy C5500 or C6500 with a 10' body sloped hood auto with a cat engine,Would be good for sanding and plowing big areas.Or I would go with a F650 same specs. But that is only if you can use that size truck and you can get it at low gvw's 15k and up.
  19. sam c

sam c Member

Hey K&C
    Have you ever considered mounting the spreader the other way? My buddy has one mounted like that and it works great! The meterial drops off of the chain onto a piece of large (18" or so)pvc pipe cut in half to form a shute which directs the meterial on to the spinner mounted about mid chassis outside the frame on the drivers side. Although i have seen them between the fraim rails. An added benefit is on hills your sanding in front of your wheels! But i don`t supose it would work well on small driveways. We do streets with big hills. Just somthing to think about.
  20. Mike Nelson

Our mitsu has a 118"wheel base with an 11'landscape body.We now have a 9' Downeaster mounted in the body.Weight distribution is fine.Traction is no problem.
    Our Internationals have approx. 156" wheelbase.9' or 10' dumps with plows(hardly ever use the plows to bulky and big).
    We have found that the 18000gvw Mitsu is so versatile.You can do big work or you can do drives.
    I know they are not the classiest trucks compared to a Ford,Chevy,Freightliner,International,ect...But do your self a favor and test drive one.
    Just my opinion!