1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best truck for plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pals26, Apr 5, 2009.

1. pals26

pals26 Junior Member
    from Iowa

Im looking for a new plow truck and would like like to know which truck others recommend.
    I plow about 75% commercial lots and 25% residential. I currently have a 2007 Ford F-250 Reg cab with a diesel. Before I bought it 2 years ago, I had a 2004 Chevy 2500HD with the 6.0 and did not think it was real reliable. Now my Ford is having a lot of engine problems and it only has 40,000 miles on it!
    Is this what I can expect from newer trucks or have I just been unlucky? I have the warranty, but can't afford the down time.
    Figuring I want new, what do you recommend for quality and reliability? Think I'll go back to the gas motor as well.
    Also, I plow with a 8.5 Western V and in the summer pull a 18' enclosed trailer full of mowers on a daily basis.
    Thanks for any info.
  2. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

I would say go gas F350 Reg. cab and maybe a v10. The newer gas engines are putting out some great numbers and often times the gas millage under "normal" work conditions aren't too much worse. I don't know anyone who is getting the millage they used to get out of the new diesels.

I think I have come to an idea that may work for me, in the future anything with a 10k gvw and SRW will be gas and above that diesel. That's pretty much where I am standing on it. Don't get me wrong if I swing across a great deal for a diesel its gone but I wont be throwing a tissy fit over it.

RODHALL Senior Member

Diesel - cummins 6.7L the automatic have trans issues at 150-200K
    i would stay as far away from the 6.4L powerstroke Heads and turbos
    D- max not a bad motor- it is the truck that bothers me

5.9L CTD - trans issues
    7.3L damn solod truck

I have drivien both ford and dodge 08 250/2500 gas trucks
    the ford seemed to be under powered....
    the Hemi plenty of power...
    both got poor milage 14-16 both rode and handled well. i didn't feel either truck would do great job of towing 10K every day.

I ended up gettin a 2 year old CTD/automatic truck for about 1/3 of the new truck.

In all honestly see if the drealer will let you take the truck home for the night and hook it to your trailer and see how well it will work (find a big steep hill and run it up and down)
    you'll have guys here say buy this or buy that... ask around when you see someone with newer truck how they like it, and if there has been any issues.
  4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

OK, I'll jump in. Buy a Duramax, it's the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really? This again? We're really going to play brand war?

I'll just take JDiepstra's place and say Dodge Cummins is the best too!!!

Really though, it's not your truck. It's 99% of 6 liter Fords. Buy a truck you'll like, and feel comfortable with. These days it pretty much all comes down to personal preferance. Heck, I'd keep the 6.0. You already have it and resale is prolly no where near what you'll want anyhow. 6.0's are good motors once they're fixed right. I'd take one over a worn out ass old 7.3 any day.
  5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Hahaha thanks!!!!!! I would personally recommed the 5.9 Cummins 2004.5 through early 2007. These are mostly trouble free, despite the internet rumors.
  6. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I was in the market for used truck and I looked at all the old 7.3's. But from what I saw and read. They are not as solid as you think. They have serious oil pan issues that is very pricey to fix. And Fords have issues with the bed rotting out. From what I found out its the foam they install above the wheel wells. Also everyone I saw had the tranny rebuilt rebuilt at 100k. These old 7.3 Didnt even come close to how the old Dodges held up. But the old Dodges all rotted the rockers and doors off. But motor was bullet proof. The new chevys dont have a plow prep on x-cab or bigger with D-Max. Dodge got a bad rap back i the Day. But from I have seen they are the only ones holding up. So get a Cummins. Try finding a nice 07 with a 5.9. That way you dont have to deal with the minor issues of 6.7

So Used
    5.9 CTD by far best motor on market. Some issue with older trannys
    7.3 PSD Just as much issues with tranny as Dodge. Oil pan rots out 2k to fix. Turbo only makes it to about 150k.

Buy a Dodge there cheaper and hold value alot better than Fords.

And come on tranny issues at 150k to 200k LMAO on a 07. What Ford or Chevy wouldnt be sitting in the shop for a rebuild after towing 50k a year. give me a break!!!
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  7. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Buy a Chevy!! You are right buy a new truck, I don't know what kind of engine troubles or what reliability issues you are talking about - be specific. If you buy used then you have down time + payment for repairs. You don't need a v-10 or a diesel, they kill you at the pump. I bought 1 ton Chevy dump with 6.0L in late 06' never had any issues. It hauls( bobcat + loads) no problems. Ever thought about Nissan or Toyota? I think they both make a nice looking truck but never had one.

RODHALL Senior Member

89 the first year of the CRD them transmission were indestuctable....727 The 89 i plow with has 490K it is still on second trany rebuild. The A518 /46 rh was when the trans issues started with the overdrive. the front part was still 727 with OD unit on behind it...

I feel most of the cars/truck i buy i want to see 200K if not 250K without issues. so to me the trans issues is worth note ing

let me know if GM is still around (as the same company) in fall. if they file chaper 11 then who is going to service that peice of paper that says it is covered?

You do know The Nissan trucks are built by dodge right, and your only going to get a half ton with a hemi will be there biggest truck......

here is some reading before going out and getting a chevy....
  9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

To the last 2 posts..................................For 1, who the hell wants to drop an 06 and get an old ass non turbo havin 89 Ford.........Seriously?

Also, a 6.0 gasser comparing #'s at the pump, are you kidding me? I'm as die hard GM as it gets, but 6.0's are gas guzzlers, no ?'s asked.

And F the plow prep, see my sig. I've been doing if for years and never had an issue. Not to mention, my 01 is an X-cab, a diesel, and has the plow prep so you're wrong.

Lastly, some people are just that nieve. GM isn't going anywhere.
  10. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Well if it was me

F250 or F350 with v8 5.4L with gear ratio 4.10

It work great if you are pull stuff then V10 will be better. I get 14.5 mpg with V10 plus light foot.

I don't know but I don't' think it good idea to buy dodge or gm since they use government money.

RODHALL Senior Member

I be one of them 2 before this post. so...

i never said drop 06 for a old 89 ford.. I just made a comment to Dave about the 5.9L cummins dodge transmission...

what are the #'s on 6.0L gas ? the 05 2500 4x4 quad cab short bed 5.9L cummins i drive daily is getting 19 MPG hauling 12-15K 22mpg with an empty trailer behind it. the 89 W250 4x4 5.9L cummins gets 19 mpg empty and it has almost 500,000 miles....

you are right GM may not be going anywhere. if they file they can get out of covering any warnitees from before the fileing. also GM fileing will stick it to UAW-GM retirement funds they get. Honestly if you want to discuss the state of GM lets take it to its own thread and not do it this one....
  12. BigDave12768

As for F the plow prep? yeah go spend 40g on a New Body Dmax Xcab and hang a plow off the front of it. See how far your warranty goes. The NBS Chevy with a Dmax are not that Plow friendly. yeah when its well out of warranty hang a plow off the front. Oh and if you read my post I clearly stated a New chevy. Since he is talking about 06 trucks
  13. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

As I stated earlier I am a Chevy guy, but the new Fords look cool IMO. Are you really getting 14.5 mpg with a V-10, or does light foot mean -- sitting in driveway!

My 98' 3/4 Ton with 454 in it gets about 7-8 mpg and thats on a good day:cry:
  14. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Actual I get 14.5 mpg in city. But lot drivers was not happy with me moving slow. If I drive normal I get 12 mpg. It require lot patient to do.
  15. Kunker

Kunker Member

Most of the gassers out there are pretty reliable. Like said before, just go out and drive a few, see which one you like the best. You'll be spending a lot of hours in the truck plowing, so make sure the layout is senseble for what you want and what you like, and go from there since most engines are pretty much the same for reliability today (sounds like you got a lemon of a 6.0 gasser).

Good luck!
  16. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

What kind of problems are you having with your 07 powerstroke?
  17. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I would do it to a NEW truck too, in a second. And to a Crew cab. It's funny b/c you act like I haven't done it in the past. I don't worry about it. I've had my trucks at the dealer literally with the plow hanging up front, not just brackets and wiring. A plow doesn't void an entire warranty. Even if I couldn't get something warranted I make enough money plowing that it's worth the risk. Hell, the amount of GAS used vs FUEL over the warranty period would probably make up for it.

Say what you guys want about milage, but these claims aren't while working the truck. Diesels DOUBLE fuel milage pushing snow vs gassers. I've had many of each, I've done the #'s, so don't anyone try winning a losing battle on this subject.

Lastly.....let's just say that it was something so bad that went wrong with the truck (which again, probably wouldn't anyhow) that it needed a large warranted repair. Spend the time removing and changing everything that remotely resembled any evidence there was ever a plow. Even if you had to buy a new front valance or something, I'd say it would be worth it.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  18. BigDave12768

I honestly have never hung a plow off a truck that didnt have the Plow prep package.

1st plow truck 87 Dodge 2500 Sno-Comander Package with a Fisher speed cast 8ft
    2nd plow truck 94 Dodge 3500 CTD Dually AHD with a 8ft MM plow.
    3rd plow truck 04 Dodge 3500 CTD in Signature. I went to a Dodge dealer and checked before I bought it. Has AHD packeage. 8ft SS
    4 plow truck 02 Dodge 2500 V-10 Has AHD package and will have a MM2 8ft.

RODHALL Senior Member

So now what is it you make enough money that it is worth the risk or you take the stuff off the front so they do not know.

if you making enough $$$ like you say you are, then paying should not be a issue. unless your a crook or cheep. Plowing for profit takes the warrantee down to next to nothing to start with....
  20. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

That didn't even make sense. I wasn't contradicting myself as you claim. I was saying what could be done if someone was that concerned, everything could be removed.....not that I did it personally. Are you really ignorant enough to question my morals, having never met me or knowing anything about me?

YES, I make enough to not care if a warranty was voided. This year alone I could have easily paid off every one of my vehicles. In 11 years of heavy commercial plowing, I've never had (knock on wood) any major issues that broke the bank. Even if I would have to spend a couple grand on a truck that makes that 10 fold is worth it IMHO. Plus, I put so many miles on my trucks, they are out of milage warranty before years. I'm not lying when I say my trucks have been in the dealer with plows on. I had a water pump warrantied a few months back on my 05. Do you think the plow caused this? I had a set of injectors done on my 03 about 6 months ago, plow brackets and everything there. Did the plow cause the injectors to go? Do you want VIN #'s? The dealer service line perhaps?

Some people crack me up. It's as if I come on these forums, establish a great reputation, just to tell a white lie and convince people it's true. How gay is that? :cool: