1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Truck for plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by benabarlow, Oct 16, 2004.

1. benabarlow

benabarlow Member
    from vermont

What truck do you think has overall is the best for residental plowing and condos?
    Thanks,
    Ben

2. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

The one you can honestly afford.
    Todd

3. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

Any 3/4 ton with a short wheel base and good turning radius.

4. Ripple

Ripple Member

duh

Chevy or GMC

5. gpin

gpin Senior Member

24 years of plowing and I did not care in the past. We buy our equipment used, 2 - 4 yrs old and then run them forever. Have had Fords and Chevy/GMC, but never had any MOPAR products. My accountant picked up the fact that the Fords appear to have significantly higher repair costs. I have driven both types and I prefer the Chey/GMCs.

6. benabarlow

benabarlow Member
    from vermont

thanks guys

I have used ford chevy and gmc chevy has won in my book. just seeing what other people like as well.

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

All of my salt trucks are GMC products. I have a 3500 Dodge for my own truck but only because a buy a friend of mines lease out every 3 years. I have brokers that have Fords. If you are buying a gas truck then buy a GMC prokuct as they get much better gas mileage. They are a softer ride but if you are going to work the heck out of it then the fords may be stronger. One of my friends has a 99 Tahoe with Timbrens, a 8.5' plow and he plows like an animal. The only fix in 5 years was a new rear end and that was only at the end of last winter. That truck would average 150 hard hours of plowing each year. He also has a Avalanche with a 8' with sides and it has plowed for 2 years with no break downs. It is a 1/2 ton with 55,000 miles on it. I only have 3500 series trucks and they have all been great.

8. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

I have a strong personal preference for Chevy/GMC. Dodge has been semi notorious for weak front ends and transmissions. My second choice would be Ford.

9. PAGE2004

PAGE2004 Senior Member

Repairs , maintenance aside - Ive always had Fords ... Ive gotten used to repairing them for all these years . Christ , the way all the new trucks look these days , My next small plow vehicle might just be a Caddy ESCALADE ! :drinkup:

10. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

The best truck is what You are comfortable in , what is available close by, and what is easy to get fixed ,hopefully under warranty. One word of advice dont buy a truck unseen from someone you dont know that had plowed with the truck. I did I have spent over 5000.00 on it and it wouldnt pass inspection. (5000 on top of what i paid). It still needs more work to make it right.

11. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

Unimog :redbounce

Enough said,
    Mark K

12. intlco

intlco Senior Member

I agree, Unimogs got the best vision and height. You can get through anything.

13. sam973

sam973 Member

I'm sure there are guys that have had bad experiences with Dodges, but I have to say I'm not one of them. My family has used almost all Dodge trucks for at least the past 30 years. The only reason we got the F 550 this year was because Dodge doesn't make a truck that size right now. Our last round of Dodges were from 1996 and they have been great. We have 9ft. utility bodies on them and 8 ft fishers on the front. They have been like tanks for us. By far the best trucks we have ever had. They get overloaded all the time. In the winter with the plow and a full load of salt I'm pushen over 12,000lbs on a 2500 series truck( 2 extra leaves added in the back + timbrens up front).
    Don't be afraid of the Dodges, they have yet to let me down.

14. Chevytruck85

Chevytruck85 Senior Member

chevy

73-87 chevy or gmc the best truck you will ever own
    -Cheap
    -easy to work on
    -cheap parts
    -run for ever!

15. The Coach

The Coach Junior Member

Your accountant is correct.

I'm the vehicle service administrator for a fleet of about 1400 vehicles (mainly pick ups and vans). We have mostly Chevrolet's now but we do have a couple hundred Fords left in the fleet. I do a monthly report on how much it costs us to drive per mile for each vehicle. Our Fords cost significantly more to drive and maintain.

Just a side note, not intended to be a slam, just an observation that was brought up in a meeting this week. This year we replaced about a dozen motors........... All on Fords with between 90-100 k on the odometer. Maybe just a weird coincidence ??

16. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

They should change the name of this website to " Fight over what truck is better.com" I don't know about anyone else, but its getting so damn old its not even funny. I think every post from here on out asking what truck is better should be thrown out. I think there is MORE than enough of that crap hidden in the search engine..... Just my opinion but i think i speak for many.

:gunsfiring: :gunsfiring: :gunsfiring: :gunsfiring: the daily post on what truck is better...........

17. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

short wheelbase tight turning truck

18. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

My SON practilly gave ME an 88 DODGE 4X4 short bed--He Traded & the Dealer wouldn*t gve him what He thought? the Ole DODGE was worth? its a 318-V-8 Auto--Recent Tranny re-build I installed All New Brakes & lines-4 New Tires-Radiator-Tranny Cooler--hi Volume Oil Pump--valve cover Gaskets--a Re-built 8ft Fisher Plow--I welded UP a Rear Bumper w/an H.D Trailer hitch-installed another Set of Gages! don*t like the Stock Ones!-- Oil Pressure--AMP--TEMP--& a New H.D Battery--My First DODGE & I*M 70 yrs OLD!--Rides a Bit STIFF! as Our SON Installed H.D Springs On all Fours--I Did Away w/the Full Time 4X4--installed Warner Hubs--HOPE? Gas Milage is BETTER?--DONO? as I just Got It Done! I*M Retired but the Wife still Works three Days a Week! & Here In MAINE We get a Lot of that White Stuff!--So Far Just Dustings! I*M a CHEVY MAN--Usually Drive My 1975 3/4 Ton 2X2 Ole Girl has never let Us DOWN!--in over 300,000 Miles NOW! Gentlemen Its Gonna Take ONE HELL of a TRUCK to Beat THAT!--& We Plan To just USE the DODGE During Foul Weather!--But Like the WIFE Says!--I Spend More TIME & MONEY On the Ole GIRL than HER?--AH! What Does She Know? a MAN & His TRUCK is a Wonderful THING!--Ole JIM--

19. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

We own about 95% Dodge trucks. We actually liked the old Ramchargers for doing driveways. They are short and still had room for a couple of blowers in the back. Condos, well it really depends on how they are set up. We do many, and some are like apt. buildings with large lots and others are like homes. These are just like doing a number of residentials. For that type I would say you would be better off adding a back blade to whatever truck you were using.

20. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Any W2oo-2500 or W300-3500 DODGE will work great. :drinkup:
    For all of you dodge bashers here is some thing to look at.
    Go to your locial junk yard (salvage lot) and look at all the ford's & chev's. now look for the dodges there are very few, why? because once you own one you woun't ues any thing ealse, thay just keep pushing snow!!!
    :drinkup: snow season is dodge season!!! :drinkup: