1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best truck for plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by business, Jan 27, 2004.

1. business

business Junior Member

Hello, I was wondering what is the best truck for plowing. I will buy a truck soon as I only use tractors to plow. This truck will be used as back-up.
  2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Welcome to Plowsite!
    Depends on how big of a plow you want to get. I'd atleast start with a 3/4 ton or a 1 ton or bigger if affordable.
  3. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

thats a pretty broad question. Of course there is the ever present chevy/ford/dodge debate. what do you plow or plan on plowing. this will dictate what size truck and plow you get. If you list all of this, you will get a much better answer. I think you should get a f-250 with a 8'2" boss v blade;) . but thats just my biased opinion.:D :D
  4. business

business Junior Member

Best truck

I intend to use it in driveways, the are all straight. It is to be used in case one of my tractor quits. I will plow double car garage, sometimes triples sometimes singles. Then push it down the street. It's nice to say buy a V-Plow but I ain't got much money. I'm on a tight budget. So which truck break the least and is the most dependable.
  5. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Like 04Superduty said, you'll get different opinions on which truck to get but in the end, it's your decision. Like I said, I would atleast get a 3/4 ton just for the simple fact that maybe someday you will want to do more plowing. You want something that will stand up to the abuse. Go with a 3/4 ton truck with a 7.6 plow and you should be fine.:waving:
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would say 3/4 ton at least. All other light duty stuff needs parts/repair all the time. Pick FORD but, that's my preference.
  7. acornish

acornish Senior Member

1/2 ton dont break if they arent abused my blazer is still going strong and been plowing with it since 79 only beakage was part of a frame of plow back in 96

by the way its a 1979 so who says 1/2 tons break yea i thought of putting 3/4 rears in it an such forth but not worth it,
  8. NOGO73

NOGO73 Junior Member

I would say get something stout like anything with a dana 60 front axle. the more torque a truck has at lower rpms the easier it is to plow with it. I would buy a Chevy/GMC k5 blazer 1991 or older,a k2500 1987 and older; 1979 ford f250 or older or 1987 or newer; I have never had any luck with dodges everything I listed should work pretty good for ya.
  9. stiffysteele

stiffysteele Junior Member

Are there other trucks out there that are not FORD? I would love to visit this place of which you speak. :D
  10. neversatisfied

neversatisfied Member
    from ct

Start with a budget in mind and always leave room for upgrading.Once u start u might find yourself taking on more accounts.And look at what yor doing now .Many many trucks will do a decent job depending on what your doing.We run a multiple of different vehicles.We use little rangers with 6.5 plows even in the big lots and even have some driveways up here that are a mile long,double wide that i send a peterbuilt triaxle with a 12 footer on it to take care of.
    As of stotness 1/2 tons will do a very nice job just as a 1 tom truck will.Theres drawbacks of less power,reduced carrying capacity.If u stick with a 3/4 ton or higher you can run a decent size sander if u ever buy one.But i always start with a budget of how much u make compared to how much u are willing to put down on a vehicle to get the job done.
  11. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

The rest of them are called cars.

I'll take a Ford any day. We have a bunch of F series and generally they are tough as nails. The GMCs we have average 4x as many service visits.
  12. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

comm and res accounts a 3/4 ton just driveways light comm short bed 1500 better turning radius
  13. djg0770

djg0770 Junior Member

For cheap, try Jeep!

CJ, or old Grand Wagoneer (not unibody)

Built like brick outhouses...
  14. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Try to find something with a solid front axle if you can. A lot less moving parts to break, well, maybe not so much less, but a lot more simple and easy to fix, replace, upgrade.
    Get a limited slip rear axle, this can help with traction.
    I would also recommend a 3/4 ton if you can afford it.
    Don't get something too long if you will be working in a lot of tight spaces.

15. Same boat i was in

I have a 1990 K5 with a used Meyer's 7.6 plow. Got the plow for $700. (needed little work, pivot pins, but what do you expect for $700) It's an old bolt on frame. It works good for me. It's small enough to do the small driveways, and heavy enough to plow my parking lots. I'm changing the mount to an e-z mount. I don't like the head gear year round.
  16. MLB

MLB Senior Member

Come on up. It's the place where the roads aren't lined with broken down Fords! :gunsfiring: :drinkup: :D
  17. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The Fords are not broke down their just out of adjustment. Their owners forgot to put the big hammer in the truck.
  18. stiffysteele

stiffysteele Junior Member

Thanks for the offer but I'm just going to stay here, where the diesels run forever, the sky is a lovely shade of grey, and all the TOYOTA Tundra owners have been shown the error of their ways. OH LOOK! A butterfly. :dizzy:
  19. BernerFolk

BernerFolk Junior Member

Not all of em...;)

Ya missed one...tell me the error of my ways, before I sink $ into a plow for my Tundra. (Just for home use, not commercial)
  20. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

berner folk

no error in your ways. What kind of plow did you decide on for the tundra? have you decided yet? Don't listen to the bad things people tell you about toy's the truck will last forever and should do fine with the right sized plow. I used someone elses tundra subing for them last year and it did fine with a curtis 7' poly that was a big storm too.

Personally i perfer american trucks, i like fords but thats my opinion. The first thing i look at in a truck or car or plow is "will it be good for me" if it is and has what i want, and i like it the best, iam buying it foregin or american curtis, meyer,or fisher etc. I don't care never been very brand loyal. I will say that i like curtis alot and am slightly biased towards curtis.:D