1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

best truck and plow

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by motichka218, Jun 23, 2009.

1. motichka218

motichka218 Junior Member

what is the best Chevy truck and plow to start with.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Do you have an age in mind, and what are you plowing? It's tough to answer that question without a little more info. It would be hard to beat an 87-92 K5 for driveways. One ton for parking areas. For all around versatility, 3/4 ton reg cab is the way to go. As for plow, can't beat a Vee.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

what a open ended question. If you are doing drives and small areas the tightest turning radius 3/4 ton you can find, with a Vee on the front.

If you are doing road ways and large parking lots the heaviest weight class truck you can afford with as big a blade as it will carry.

Give us a little more info and we can narrow it down a bit

4. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

A black one with a red plow. :D

5. motichka218

im going to be plowing parking lots, most of them are pretty big

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

One ton at the least. As for plow brand, buy whatever is popular where you are. Around here it's Fisher, so a 9.5 XV with wings would be the ticket.

Curious how you are starting into the business with big parking lots?

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

What is your idea of a big parking lot?

IMO a reg cab long box 3500 SRW with a Western/Fisher or Blizzard 810 plow.

8. motichka218

im not starting a business. im working with my uncle he has the business i want to get my own truck so i can be able to plow and make more money then if i was to use one that he has.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What has he been using?

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

or a red one with a black plow;)

11. motichka218

he has a couple of trucks. i no he has a ford f 350 with a plow and a salter. thats the truck he uses

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Well, is that truck big enough? What have you been plowing with for a truck? Could you handle more blade based on a typical snowfall? Seems like a tonner with the biggest V you could find would be ideal. And maybe wings too, if your snowfalls are typically light, or you're plowing with the storm. You might even consider putting a push box on a pickup.

Glad I'm not a dentist

13. motichka218

i havent plow yet im only 16 right now i have my permit. im going to have someone in the truck with me this year untill i get my license in feb. im looking for a truck now so ill be ready when it starts to snow

14. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Not sure but I don't think you can get GL insurance at 16, just auto, though maybe its my broker.

15. motichka218

do i need that even if im plowing for someones elses company