1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best to clear a parking spot?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kolkie05, Jul 8, 2010.

1. kolkie05

kolkie05 Senior Member
    from Chicago

Have a condo building I plow for that has parking spaces that need to be cleared. Of course these spaces that are open sit between parked cars and the building is close to the parking spots.

I need something that will clear the spots out and have about $4k to spend on it.

Do you recommend a smaller used plow truck or should I get a atv with plow?
  2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I'd recommend writing "single vacant parking spots will not be cleared" in your contract, or saying that you will come back at 10am the morning following a plowing to clear occupied spots from the night before, you are going to spend a ton of time screwing around clearing up single spots otherwise.
  3. salopez

salopez Senior Member

I agree. you will be wasting time.
  4. kolkie05

kolkie05 Senior Member
    from Chicago

It's one of the demands from the association that spots be cleared if they are open. So I don't have much choice other than giving up the contract.
  5. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

How many spots are we talking?
  6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

How about putting a blade on the back of the truck?
  7. kolkie05

kolkie05 Senior Member
    from Chicago

There are about 60 spaces total
  8. kolkie05

kolkie05 Senior Member
    from Chicago

Still tight I have the crew cab F150 so with the 4 doors and plow there is not much space between the building and parking spaces maybe about a 8ft drive lane
  9. Pristine PM ltd

Can you just have a bobcat with a 8 foot blade take care of the whole property? That would make the most sense to me, and just have the truck come by later and salt. You would be able to get a used setup for under 10000, and use it for relocation when needed.
  10. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

What about a guy with a 36" to 48" wide shovel who pushes the snow into the drive while you plow it away?

Or a snowblower?

I've never tried to backdrag with a 4 wheeler but I imagine it would be very time consuming. Plus you are going to have to trailer it with you probably.
  11. Pristine PM ltd

Unless you have downpressure with your atv blade, you are SOL backdragging... I agree, have someone snowblow or shovel, cheap, nice and easy.
  12. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Our rule less then 3 spaces don't plow, 3+ plow, even on 2nd day clean ups....if not your pocket book will shrink or your insurance company will drop you.
  13. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

how about a little jeep wrangler with a 6 or 6.5 ft plow
  14. Pristine PM ltd

We will plow two spaces no problem, and then have the ranger push in after that point only by complaint. Even if it is in the contract, saying two spaces, it doesn't matter, they will call and complain.
  15. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Condo corporations=good times., eh Jon.
  16. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

This is not rocket science. I've been doing this for 20+yrs. You HAVE to have some cooperation, if not you won't make any $$ and hense, why waste your time. Get in writing you'll plow the main drive or throughfare, to keep things passable and come back for a clean up the next day when the res' move their cars. The only other option is to have all the work billable by the hour no limit, if they do that, throw everything but the sink at it.
  17. Weeded!

Weeded! Member

I would get an 8 foot push box with back drag attachment on a rented skid steer. You can roll into the space, drop the box, pull back in about 20 seconds.
    Works well with associations with 1000 driveways that each need to be plowed, as well.
  18. TheBossMan2000

TheBossMan2000 Junior Member

Ive got to agree with him.
  19. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

i would get a jeep or and smaller pick-up. sinlge spaces are tough when we did condos, ect every single space we did would follow up with a phone cal how we scratched their car...
  20. Weeded!

Weeded! Member

submitted twice..ignore this.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2010