1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

best tires?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by c.t. lawn care, Mar 23, 2003.

1. c.t. lawn care

c.t. lawn care Senior Member

i am needing new tires this coming year for plowing and was wondering what was the best tire to use. i have a 93' sonoma and i need a good tire that will provide great traction. right now i have michillen LTX M/S. they are ok for just driving in the snow but are a little on the slippery side when plowing. anyone know of a good 4x4 tire that i can keep on the truck in the sping and fall but doesnt wear to much?
  2. Manx

Manx Senior Member

I myself like the BF Goodrich AT ko's
    there great in the snow
    I little pricey but you get what you pay for
    there wearing great and for as aggressive as they are quiet
  3. szorno

szorno Senior Member

I agree with the Michellins being slippery. They stink! Never again on a plow truck! I have the BFG's on one truck and like them well. We also use a second line tire called Pathfinder. We sipe them and they work well. all of them last 20K miles or 2 years which ever comes first.:cool:
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Cooper Discoverer M&S,specifically made for snow and ice.Will tolerate a fair bit of dry road driving too.Now that we use them,I won't go back to anything else.Here is a pic on one of our trucks.You can see all the little tiny sipes,and the chunky tread blocks.

5. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

I with wyldman... Coopers, plus they are cheap $112 for E-range 265/75/16s
  6. porkhead1

porkhead1 Member

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Agree with wyldman and chtucker, I have studded all around Cooper Discoverer M&S E-range 265/75/16s. Gives great traction, even with a loaded 2 yard V box downhill on pure ice. I know, I should have gone backwards but I wanted to try it (I cheated and pulled it down to first gear so the engine acted as a brake).
  8. bgrover

bgrover Member

I run a set of Wild Spirit DTX's (Kelly Springfield) on my F250. I found they have good traction and are hard to get stuck.
  9. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I have the BFG's commercial Traction and it works well .would get another set and the cooper is good too my friend has a set on his dump.
  10. dillyolboy

dillyolboy Member

Bridgestone makes Blizzaks that would fit. You would probably want to take them off in the summer cause it is very soft rubber. They are the best snow tires but Cooper M+S are also very good. Coopers are probably a little cheaper and you probably wouldn't notice the traction difference. Anything will be better than Michelins.
  11. johngus

johngus Senior Member

I put Nitto terra graplers on the truck recently.been happy with the so far,only plowed with them once but plowed 5" in 2WD.I always needed 4x4 with the michellins.as a bonus they come in d and e ratings and balanced up very easily.
  12. lwnmwr1

lwnmwr1 Junior Member

if you don't use a sander or tow in the winter the c range tires are really sticky. great tire even cheaper $65 a corner
  13. wyldman

wyldman Member

The difference in price for the higher load range was like 10 bucks.I'd take a tire with more plies over one with less.With a plow on the front,the extra load capacity help.Never hurts to have more than you need.
  14. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I run 295/75/16 BFG A/T ko's on both of my plow trucks, 97 and 03. And on my 99 I run 255/85/16 BFG M/T's. The A/T's are a very good tire for all year round, in the summer my trucks are on muddy job sites day in and day out so I need a tire that will to both snow/ice and mud. The M/T's are horse $&@% in snow and ice, with 750 + lb.ft. torque to the rear tires its almost dangerous when empty, but nothing that 6,000 lbs of sand/salt can't fix. My father runs Kumho A/T's on his plows, and loves them. But in the summer he then switches to Regal TrailBlazers.
  15. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

Goodyear Wrangler AT/S.

Hands down, the best tire I have ever used for plowing. I would put them up against any tire on the market.
  16. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

-BFG Commercial Traction- tires are excellent
  17. Michelin and BF Goodrich are french owned companies.
    If it weren't for the arrogance of the french (not capitalized purposely) alot of our boys (and girls) would be having it a whole lot easier tonight in Iraq.
    Regarless of politics. Whether you are for or against the war, the french have slapped all americans in the face.
    I personally am slapping them back, only in the wallet, where it counts...

Sorry if I got on a rant here. My son is a U.S. Marine, on the front lines in Iraq. I pray he will be able to come home to see his newborn child for the first time. Our so called allies in france have lessened his chances...

There are too many good tires built here in the USA.

18. Felarry

Felarry Junior Member

Best Snow Tires

OK, I been reading lots on this and was hoping to post my configuration and see if anyone has any suggestions.

I have a 2008 F350 Super Duty Crew Cab. This will be my 3rd snow season with it. I use it primarily in the winter to plow and salt my 1500 foot driveway.

I have a Western 7.5FT plow with the UltraMount and a Western 1000 sander.

I purchased the truck with the following:

4" (maybe 6") lifts
    TOYO A/T DSOC II Tires (LT325/50R22)

Well, after my 1st season I realized that they are great summer tires and look very nice. They suck in the winter for plowing!

NOW...Going into my third plowing season, I want to get the best snow tires I can for my truck. I don't have much tire experience so I am looking for some suggestions on what is the best winter tire for snow and plowing.

Also, the tires that are currently on my truck hit the wheel wells when I turn sharp right or left. This is even worse when the extra weight of the plow is in the front. I assume I want to put a smaller wheel/tire.

OK....Any suggestions for a newbie ???

THANKS !!

19. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Dude this thread is like seven years old.
  20. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Dude this thread is like seven years old, hey at least you used the search area.