1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Tires??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Picket Fence, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Picket Fence

Picket Fence Junior Member

Hi all, I did a search but came up empty, so I'm going to ask!

I need some advice on tires for my 2000 F-150 7700 plow truck. right now I've got Firestone Steeltex radial A/t with less then 7000 miles on um, but the treads not the most aggressive (more of a highway tread) even though there rated a m/s tire. :confused:

Any suggestions????????????????????

I like the BF Goodrich All Terrain's, but @ $160 a pop :dizzy:

2. danno

danno Senior Member

It`s been discussed a gazillion times, but here goes. I`m partial to GOODYEAR WRANGLER AT/S (SNOW) tires. Deep tread, self- cleaning, siping, slow wearing.

Other contenders are COOPER DISCOVER A/Ts. TOYO OPEN COUNTRY A/T.

3. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

How much is safety worth to you? and I am not being sarcastic. If it costs $110.00 for a tire that sucks in snow, don't you think it's worth it to spend the extra $200.00 for all 4 tires that give you great performance?

The BF Goodrich All Terrains are probably the most popular year round tire for light duty trucks. They have been tried and proven for many many years and I would bet that most people who have used them would definately recommend them.

The other tires mentioned above are good tires as well....

Good luck

-Greg

4. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

Anyone have Pirelli Scorpians?..

5. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

We run Hakkapelittas Studded on all our plowing equipment. It has a real aggressive tread design for snow. They are alittle spendy @ 200.00 ea.:cool:

6. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

Anyone have Pirelli Scorpions?..

7. Picket Fence

Is this what your running?

8. Dogbonz

Dogbonz Member

Tires,,,,

HI GUYS,,I JUST BOUGHT A SET OF TIRES FOR MY 87 SILVERADO PLOW TRUCK,,,31 X10.5 X15 MADE BY GENERAL TIRE. THE RAISED WHITES SAY CAPITOL RADIAL AT,,,,, I BOUGHT THEM AT BELLE TIRE AND PAID $398 OUT THE DOOR WITH INSTALL, LIFETIME BALANCE AND ROTATION, AND OLD TIRE DISPOSAL! THEY HAVE A NICE OPEN LUG DESIGN BUT ARE PRETTY QUITE ON THE HIGHWAY:cool: THIS WILL BE MY FIRST SEASON PLOWING AFTER MY FIRST SEASON OF LAWN-CARE BIZ,,, HOPE WE GET MORE SNOW THEN WE DID RAIN! LOTS OF GOOD INFO HERE,,, TAKE CARE GUYS AND BE SAFE! See Ya! DAVE

9. Picket Fence

I hear ya Greg, but when we bought the truck last May, the Firestones were on it. It's more of a question for when I need, then when I want new tires

10. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Those are probably the worst tire out there[for plowing]

11. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

I had a pair of Scorpions on my last truck. They were loud and wore out very quickly.

12. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

Worse than BF MUD Terrains!!

DAMN!!

:)

-Greg

13. Ice Scream

Ice Scream Member

I run Kelly MSR's, they work good for me, but I will be switching to Bridgestones.

14. mickman

mickman Senior Member

I had the Scorpians on my f350 a couple of years ago. I really liked them.
    I got them from sears on sale for $90/each. But they didn't last long.

I put Liberators on my one chevy last year, and they are the best tires I have used.
    Yesterday I put a set on my other 2500hd. These are made by Uniroyal, & have agressive tread. Very little use in 4wd compared to the Bridgestones that come w/truck.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2005
  15. Picket Fence

mickman,

Which model Liberators?? Aren't those Wal-mart brand tires, or is it Discount tires brand????????? :confused: :eek:

16. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

As far as I know the best snow tire on the market is the Bridgestone Blizzak
    Load range D or E. Best traction all around, I have them on everything my driveway is straight up 1000 feet, well not straight up but it seems like it. No one dares come up my driveway in winter and some won't bother in summer.

Dick

17. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

The Liberators are sold at Walmart. Now being made by Uniroyal. They used to be made by Michelin. Looks like the tires I will be buying tomorrow, Lt245/75r16 load range E for 451.00 out the door...

18. Picket Fence

Lots of good input! Anymore??

19. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

DON'T BUY LIBERATORS. I have them on my s-10 blazer and they are worthless. They have very little gaps between the lugs and snow just packs in them and they don't clean themselves well at all so after they are filled with snow your skrewed. Get some nice mud terrains or something that clean themselves. My friends truck with mud terrains goes through more in 2wd then mine in 4wd. The worsehorse tires made by goodyear are good also.

20. danno

danno Senior Member

Good Year Wrangler A/T S :D