1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Tires

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ggb6259, Dec 3, 2012.

1. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

Just picked up a new to me Ram 1500 and it a came with newer Michelin All Seson tires on it.
    I had some pretty aggresive KUMHO's on the Mountaineer that worked great but am a bit concerned with the Michelins.

I looked for a tire specific thread but no luck.

Looking for what works and why, reviews from users, price, etc etc..

Thanks

Gary

2. SD40T2

SD40T2 Member

I put a set of General AT2's on my Dakota IMO there are the best tires I have used for plowing and cheap too. Now they have an all terrain tread but they pretty much suck in muddy conditions but really shine in snowy conditions...$125@ through Walmart ship to store

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  3. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

Ill second the vote for generals! I have put them on all of my trucks (94 f150, 2000 chevy 1500, and 04 1500) Sone of the best tires you can get for cheap. I got my last set for $600 installed

4. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Yokohama Geolanders---on my second set,GREAT traction on dry,wet,and snow.Discount Tire is where to get them--free shipping--have your small mom and pop garage do the install.

5. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Just keep in mind that different kinds of tires work in different kinds of conditions. What might be best for deeper snow and/or driving on hard packed snow (vs plowed) will be different from what works well on plowed surfaces.

In general, you're looking for something with decent siping, contact area, and decent lug spacing, without going crazy and ending up with mudders. Mudders work great on packed snow, but very poorly on plowed.

I went with Goodyear silent armor. They seem to be approximately at the "sweet spot", and meet the "severe snow" requirements (thus branded with the mountain/snowflake symbol).

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The Michelins should do very well in the snow unless they are very worn. Generally speaking a milder tread is better for plowing than a real aggresive or knobby tread.

If you want a dedicated snow - Hakks, Blizzaks, MasterCraft MSRs are fantastic.

I hated the General Grabber AT2s for plowing. And driving. And treadwear. But that's just me.

7. subydude

subydude Junior Member
    from RI

i was in the same position as you. i asked the same question and was told the general grabber at2. last year i plowed on balding tires. cant wait to see the difference. imo i would find the cheapest place online that sells them and bring them to town fair tire to match the price.

8. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I have plowed with several different tires, mostly all terrains. All terrains can be very good in the snow, but no where near what a snow tire can do. That being said I have used BF goodrich all terrain K/Os and I did not like them at all. They lasted a while but did not get very good traction. Then I got some General grabber AT2s. I had them on a jeep wrangler and I LOVED them, awesome traction and they lasted a good amount of time. Then I had the Grabbers on an f350 7.3 diesel and they still had awesome traction and I loved them but the full sized heavy truck wore them out pretty quick. SO after that I went to Kumho road venture SAT 61s and those seem to be perfect for the bigger trucks. I have 20k on them and they have alittle more than half tread left and they get awesome traction on snow. Not as good in deep snow as the grabbers but better on ice and plowed snow conditions.

So long story shortI now run general grabber AT2s on anything smaller than a one ton diesel and I have the Kumho Road venture SATs on my 1 ton diesels.

9. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I really like my Good Year Wrangler Dura Tracs, they are very aggressive. I'm also very impressed with Firestone Transforce tires.

10. jimv

jimv Senior Member

dose any one uses this Hankook DynaPro ATM

11. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

Checked out the model of what I have and did some research...
    Michelin LTX A/T2 Mostly positive commentary in snow so that's good.

I priced 4 rims from the local salvage yard and new snow specific tires but at $75 a rim and $150 a tire I think I will just run what I brung for now... They are new enough with rubber nubbies on them...

Being an old jarhead I do have an aversion to anything Michelin so that plays into it. Similar to Jane the Traitor. US military was prohibited from taking out the Michelin rubber plantations in Vietnam and it cost a lot of good American boys their lives. The VC hid under them as a safe haven.

Keep the input up because I know this has to be a common question and we can help somone else getting ready to spend big coin...

Thanks

Gary

12. hackitdown

hackitdown Member

I have the Firestone Transforce on my 2 trucks (2500HDs) year-round. They seem fine for plowing, and the tread wear has been excellent.

13. potskie

potskie Senior Member
    from Ontario

I LOVE my Michelin LTX A/T2s, I've had many different tires on many different trucks and the ones I always buy when time to replace the ones that came on the truck are those right there. Used to keep a set hidden away at work that I could throw on my truck in the fall just for plowing.

14. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

I prefer mud tires. I've used Super Swampers, Buckshot Radial Mudders and currently run Goodyear MT/R, the old style.

15. BucklesIX

BucklesIX Member
    from US

Does anyone here know if they found it economical to buy a 2nd set of rims, and switch from traction tires to more all season tires in the warm season. That is my dilemma, I mean for 20 days I might plow a year, I pay all summer with a aggressive tire, and kill my millage, and wear out my rubber for next winter? Last year I bought a set of BFG TA traction, and I think they are OK for plow tire, and hauling light, but are not what I want for hauling heavy as I do most the year. What do you think.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  16. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

All my trucks have 2 sets of rims, and tires. Decent snow tires wear extra fast in summer, especially if loaded. I run BFG commercial traction studded for winter, and a bit of mix for summer. I still run the OEM bridgestones that came on my 08 truck for summer.
    This way I get a couple seasons out of the "snow tires" and more out of the summers.
    Just do the math, unless you have your changer & balancer, plus the additonal life of the tires, it makes sense to me.

Bill

17. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

Even with me owning a tire machine and a balancer I have winter and summer wheels. Much easier to have two complete ready to run sets of tires versus the constant mount/dismount scenario.

18. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

anyone ever run hifly tires? my local ntb has a deal on them and i have 2 trucks to get tires on and im not buying top of the line. didn't know if they were complete junk or not.

19. plowin-fire

plowin-fire Senior Member

Hiflys just came into the US recently. Not much info on them yet. Our rep said they would be a 30-35k mile tire. They are cheap China stuff IMO. I run Mastercraft Courser C/Ts. Just bought another set for one of my trucks. They last 50k or more miles. Generals are great in the snow as well. Hankook ATMs arent a bad choice either.

20. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

This what I do My hankook tires have studs in them so cant run them in the summer
    I get 6-7 years out snow tires
    My trucks only move when it snows