1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Tires to Plow With

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by 08 Sierra, Apr 23, 2008.

1. 08 Sierra

08 Sierra Junior Member

I have a 2008 GMC Sierra Reg. Cab 6 1/2' box with plow prep package and a 7 1/2' Fisher RD with back blade.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Any tire starting with "LT" and rated "M&S". Everybody has their own opinion as far as brand - Personally, I like my Cooper Discoverers. Studded, they are practically unstoppable. BUT - you will need to take them off after the snow is gone. They wear fast on dry pavement.
  3. 08 Sierra

08 Sierra Junior Member

Thanx for the reply.

I was thinking of going with the goodyear wranglers silent armor prograde 285/70/17
  4. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

i run the dunlop radial rover RT's year round. they are hands down the best snow/ice tire ive EVER used. and their treadwear rating is excellent. they have about 4000 miles on them now and the little nipples are still in the treads! no lie. i would suggest these to anybody looking for a great all around tire!
  5. Maine_Snowman

Maine_Snowman Junior Member

My last plow truck had Firestone Destinations, they were good in the mud and snow, and were also a great year round tire.
  6. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

I put studded Hakka 5's on my truck this past year, and they made me a believer. The truck was completely unstoppable through our many storms (120"+). There was also very little wear on them when I took them off.

They aren't a LT tire, but they are XL (extra load), which is fine, even w/2 tons in the bed.
  7. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

My Cooper 285 STT's suck in the snow!
  8. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

haha amen to that!!!! mine lasted about 50k which was amazing but oh and 35x15.5x18 procomp extreme at's arnt much better BUT what i can tell you is amazing are the general grabber at2's STUDDED
  9. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

My Goodyear Safari MSR's were awesome that I had on a previous truck. I think i'm gonna be buying them next time!:)
  10. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

I have always had great luck with the BFG all terrains and that is what i plan to put on my truck when the Bridgstone duelers that are on there need replacing.....but the duelers on my last truck worked very good as well.....I still prefer the BFG's. they last a long time and look good on top of it.
  11. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

i put a set of procomp at on my truck. they have the severe weather rating and i plow in 2wd. i never got suck and they self clean. good tire for me
  12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

round ones.
  13. WetChicken

WetChicken Senior Member

I have Michelin XCX/APT's on the plow truck, and I got out of a few places that really surprised me.
    I now have the BFG AT/KO's on my POV from a recommendation from a friend. He plows with a set of those and swears by them.