1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

best tires for plowing snow

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bubba377, Feb 27, 2010.

1. bubba377

bubba377 Junior Member

I have a 2005 2500 hd that I am buying a plow for. I currently have BFG AT's on my truck but am not impressed with the performance in the snow. I would not be very happy if I get the truck stuck while plowing any suggestions?

2. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

If you are careful you won't get stuck. All tires slip on the snow. I like my BFG's

3. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

I was a loyal BFG guy myself. Great all around tire but they were never that good in snow. There are a lot of options out there, many more than there used to be. Mastercraft MSR's studded for plow tires and Goodyear Duratracs for all season tire. You can stud the Goodyears but that's an expensive tire for winter only.

4. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

The Cooper M&S is a great winter tire. It would be my first choice for a winter tire.

5. bubba377

bubba377 Junior Member

antbody else usimg BFG AT:confused: and what do u think of them

6. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

ive said it 100 times,,,and always will,,, the one and only answer is the toyo open country AT.

7. plowmanben

plowmanben Member
    from MI

Second that I just put new ones on before this winter, it was the second set I've put on my truck. I will never go with anything else! I'm very happy with the performance.

8. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Bfg AT are why I have, and I've only been slightly stuck ( put some sand down to get traction on ice) you won't get stuck. Like some one said, all tires slide in snow

9. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

Treadwright Wardens on BFG casings here. Have not gone anywhere that I couldn't get out of with these things. This is my first winter with them and I've been quite impressed. I can plow in 2wd with no problems as long as I remember the ballast before I head out. Can't beat the price at $84 each for LRE.

10. SawHoss

SawHoss Member

Used to run bfg's switched to cooper atr's. Better tire all around imo.

11. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I run BFG Mud-Terrains: love um!

12. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

how are they wearing out ? I wanna get the M/T but they dont last long on the road !

13. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

Im going to need rubber soon, thinking about toyo's? One thing they dont tell you when you buy the allimax, is due to the big tourque (660 #) thats always there, these trucks go through tires fast!!!!

14. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I have a set of 305/70R16's that I have run only in the spring, summer, and fall for the past 5 years putting around 30,000 miles on them and they still have half tread on th them.

As for winter tires, I always buy a set of half tread mud-terrains and run them on stock wheels in the winter for plowing. I can commonly get about 2 years of plowing out of 1/2 treads. That is with a loaded truck with plow on that rolls across the scale around 11,000lbs.

15. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Probably going to think I am crazy but I have had great traction with a BFG Rugged Trail T/A. So good I was able to eliminate 4WD many times on easier snows. They are a load range E and get very good year round traction and mileage.

16. Dockboy19

Dockboy19 Junior Member

Toyo Open Country best tire i have had hands down on a truck so far.

17. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I've had good luck with BFG AT. I think they are one of the best all around tires on the market. I'm sure some are better for just snow, but are those good to run all year round? Probably not.

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The BFG ATs are OK, but they don't compare to the MasterCraft MSRs. I thought the General Grabber AT2s were horrible in the snow, even with studs.

Whatever you choose, plenty of weight will make a huge difference plowing.

19. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

I just ordered a set of BFG A/T KO and will get another set for the off season was thinking about the Cooper discoverer of Firestone destination

Decided on the BFG after reading on the cummins diesel forums everyone had good luck with them and they last longer than other tires

I wanted a 50k mile + tire so I went with that

20. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I'm guessing your running the old style BFG mud terrain KM 1 tires, these tires wear great but have been replaced with the mud terrain KM 2 tire which looks like BFG's rock crawler tires. I have heard the new BFG MT's don't last as long and don't wear as even as the old KM 1 tire. I ran a set of the KM 1's for about 2 years and still had half the tread left. Too bad BFG changed the design.