1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

best tires for hill traction

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by schwerhaiv, Jan 17, 2014.

1. schwerhaiv

schwerhaiv Junior Member

I am buying a 2001 Dodge 1500 sport and I am going to immediately put tires on it. They are 17 inch wheels. The original tires were 275 70's. The prior owner was running 265 70's. I was thinking of buying 265 70 17 in studded snow tires. I have a very long uphill driveway was thinking either putting some modified chains with whatever tire if it gets bad, or studded snows. Any opinions?
    -Joe

2. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Check out Buff's new studded tires. Supposedly, they make you a stud behind the wheel, just by using them. Personally, I don't know, as I've never met the guy, but he claims he is and the tires are the well worth the hazards of being a stud.:confused:

Half way down the page.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=144397&page=101

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  3. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

As good as those tires are, they're only available in 16''

4. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

Firestone winter force.

5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

What ever you go with go narrow like a 235, studded, siped and a winter rated tire. I've run GY Duratracs on both trucks for the past 4yrs, I recently decide to try a set of BFG's as you probably know due to the Dog barking....... You can get a GY Duratrac in a 235/80/17, they may be too narrow for you wheels, get out the tire specs, http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=38QR7WDT&tab=Specs .
    I will say any tire that is great in one category may not be the greatest in another. It sounds like you have a gnarly driveway and I would suggest getting a set of great tires to tackle it in the winter and another set for summer use.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  6. schwerhaiv

schwerhaiv Junior Member

tires

Thanks for the thoughts.

7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

8. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

Cooper Discoverer M & S

9. winged1dur

winged1dur Senior Member

What he said - with studs!

10. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

I run Firestone Winterforce Studded tire these are the best tires I've ever had for plowing...

11. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Tall and skinny will win the snowy hill climb race. Add lots of ballast and you will be good to go with almost any non aggressive tire.

12. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

I have wore out a set of those, really good tires , they are a real soft rubber compound, which makes them a great tire on any ice, but a set of studded up hakkapelitta are better hands down , the hakks are the premium winter ice tire, the price of them kind of makes you shudder when you hear it but bear in mind they wear like steel too, on my two trucks, both dodge diesels, the coopers are long since done, and the hakks are a year older and will run for atleast two years longer, that considered , the hakks aren't really that expensive in the long run, I replaced the coopers with a wrangler ultra ice studded, they seem to be working out as a good ice tire so far, they are in the 275 series of which I didn't have that much intrest in but that's just the way it worked out, I usually always run 235 series, we have a lot if pretty steep properties ,there are days that the other trucks cant make that first pass to the top without chaining up, on those days im usually called over to make the first pass to the top, the hakks haven't let me down yet.

13. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

Listen to what this guy said! Skinny tire means more pounds per square inch pushing down... more traction. Wide floatation tires float on top and slip.
    Look for a tire with lots of little sipes. Then load the truck with lots of weight.
    You will love it.

14. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I have 2storms with the new BFG's and they're great in, fluff, hard pack, ice, and slush.