1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best tires for a new bocat A 300

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by kcress31, Nov 14, 2009.

1. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

What are the best tires to get for my new A 300? Severe duty, Heavy duty, float, solid, studded. I ordered it with the Heavy duty and I think I will be studding them.

2. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i think i'd save my money...the 300 will push the kage no problem...only thing i ever worry about on my skids is flat tires in the middle of a snow storm so most of mine are foam filled
    EDIT just a fwiw...if your skid doesn't have foam filled tires it's a good idea to break all the lugs loose prior to winter and antisieze the nuts in case you would have to change a flat under less than ideal conditions..that way you know you can get them off

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  3. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

Thanks. Ever heard of these studs, self install.

http://www.kenjones.com/html/Ice-Studs-and-Screws-For-Tires-KenJonesTires.aspx

4. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

My vote goes to the Severe Duty tires. I'm really impressed with their performance in all seasons, especially in winter. Also great wear out of these tires, should easily make it 1000 hrs., probably quite a bit more yet on an A300. I've never had a flat (knock on wood) with these tires either, which amazes me as we are always on const. sites with the machine. I've had nails in the tires, but none that have actually punctured them. On another machine we have with the HD/ industrial tires, we generally see 2+ tire repairs per tire before they're worn out.

5. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I still have the original HD tires on my A300. I have about 2000 hrs now, and expect to get +/- 3000. The next set I will buy will be the severe duty. They have much thicker tread depth and the tread design is like an industrial loader tire. In my opinion they should last longer as a result of both. I have not used them yet but I know others who report superior tire performance in the snow. I would like to know how the studs work. I would prefer to use them over tire chains. We have been using LaClede (sp?) round link ladder chains (when needed) but I am not very happy with how they are holding up. The salesman says that the skidders are hard on tire chains. I'm sure that this is true because most skidders skid. We do not use ours in the skid mode hardly, if ever. I think he is refering to the cross links wearing (getting thin) and then breaking. That is not what we are experiencing. Our chains are breaking at the side link welds (seams like a defect to me). The welds are not all the way through (I can see rust, in between the welds, once they break). That tells me that water is getting between the (2) surfaces that are supposed to be welded together. We may go to the Pewags (square link) this season. They are supposed to last 3x longer at 2x the price. If anyone has experience with the studs mentioned by the OP (or anything else for that matter), I would appreciate input.

6. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Anti-seize is a good idea regardless of season. I have only had one flat in the winter, which occured while skidding while the tire was under inflated. The underinflation allowed the latteral loading of the tire beak the bead seal. My tire guy tells me that the design of the typical skidder bead makes it succeptable to slow leakage in cold weather. While I like the anti-flat characteristics of foam filled tires, I can not tolerate the ride (especially on long plow events). For those of us with all wheel steering it's not quite as bad (since we don't skid). I would, however, recommend checking tire pressure regularly. At least to establish a trend for your particular machine. Really it's should be a part of the daily PM anyway.

7. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

Thanks Guys. I think I'll get the severe duty right from the get go and get some self install studs that are removable for the summer.

8. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

this exact thing happened to me twice on 2 different machines...ever try to get a skid tire beaded with a portable compressor :cry: i was able to use starting fluid to ignite and blow the bead back to the rim but after that i foamed my tires . even though it's a rougher ride i don't want to go through that stress again :dizzy:

9. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I ordered mine about 3 years ago with the Severe duty on it right from the factory. I think it was an $800 upcharge, but it has turned out to be well worth the money. I would estimate the tire wear at 2.5 to 3 times better in my experiences vs. the HD industrial style tread. It sounds like the A300 sees even far less tire wear yet. Good Luck.