1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

best tires for 2wd plow truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by slade, Aug 13, 2007.

1. slade

slade Senior Member

I just bought a 3500hd the ones with 15,000 gvw and 19.5 rims. I am going to use it for plowing and salting. Should I get the most aggressive tread that I can or would that not be good for ice. I just want the best tire for snow and ice, I will not drive it that much during the summer. Any input is appreciated.

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

this seems bass ackwards, why waist your money on a 2wd plow truck???, seems like you bought this truck specifically for plowing???? because you said you wont drive it that much in summer??? this just doesnt make sence, but whatever.

i'd say get some REAL good snows and stud them, then toss a piss load of ballast in the back and pray she does ok at best.

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I think you are off to a bad start. Unless you have lots of lead to put in the truck, I don't think you will get real far on anything that isn't perfecly level. To me, your starting off on the losing side of things.

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I wonder if the first 2 guys that posted ever used a 2wd truck for plowing.

I have that exact same truck. We run a 9' Western with a V box salter. The truck will plow great with 2 tons in the salter. We have 1 account that is uphill 500'. The only time we got stuck is when the driver missed the driveway and drove it 40' into a field.

I also have a 2003 3500 that I had a 9'6" Fisher V on. We would put 3000lbs in the salter. Could not push a 15" snowfall one time. My Dodge 3500 4wd had a hard go with that one.

Any aggressive tire and you will be fine. Just don't try to stack snow to the point where you get hung up.

5. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

What happens when you run out of salt?

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You have to plow accordingly. We had to plow some accounts and then go back to salt when you have finished plowing. You have a valid point.

7. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

It just seems silly to have to go back with gas prices the way they are. But, knowing how much guys get for salting, that probably isnt an issue for you. LOL

Case in point: I had a guy tell me last season that he made $12,000 off our first storm in Kansas City from just salting. That makes me want to get out of the install business and go get me a plow and salt truck.

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I always refer to salt as white gold and snow as pennies from heaven. Our 3500HD is a salt truck first but waiting 3 hours to start salting after we start plowing didn't make sense. It is now a salt only truck because we are that busy.

If I only had 1 truck and worked by myself it wouldn't be a 2wd but if you view his profile you can see he has other equipment.

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I have plowed with a 4x4 truck in 2wd. It wasn't to fun.

10. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

He said he's got a 3500 HD, it'll push snow. I use 2wd most of the time when I plow.

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Why did you use 2wd and how much weight did you have in the back?

12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

It was only in 2wd because the switch to put it in 4x4 was not working. There was no weight in the back except for an empty tailgate spreader and the snow was like 2-3" deep at the most.
    I think the tires were the big problem, stock tires on a f250.

My thought on it was if he bought the truck to plow snow and that was its main job, why did he purchase a 2wd truck. I wasn't saying you can't push in 2wd.

13. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Any 2 wheel drive truck will plow snow and salt <<< IF >>> you have a good driver and plenty of weight in the rear.

14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I agree that 4wd is much better then 2wd. A 3500Hd has a GVWR of 15,000lbs. where a 3500 4wd has a GVWR of 12,000lbs. I bought mine mainly for the extra weight it will carry. I would have considered a F550 4X4 if I had any confidence in the Fords. Now that I opened another can of worms I am going to leave it at that.

Mark, would you consider that Yamaha as a good sidewalk machine? At most we would be plowing 4" of snow and many times less then that.

15. slade

slade Senior Member

What was I thinking, why did I buy a 2wd plow truck? J/K I wanted a truck with a higher gvw than a 1 ton. so my options were either a 3500hd or a f-550. I like the 3500hd's and not sure about the 550's, and the price difference was significant. So I decided on a 1994 3500hd diesel 84" cab to axle. I am going to have a Snoway 10' spreader mounted to the frame and have not decided yet what plow I am going to put on it. It will get new traction tires and a detroit locker in the rear end. I think with the locker and some weight in the spreader it will do alright. Most storms it will push for 3-4 hours then salt, but there will be times when I need to push with it a lot longer.

16. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

the best snow tires i have ever used where bf goodrich all terrians the grip is awesome. much better than bridgestone dueler revos that i had on my truck..

17. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

For a sidewalk machine, I think it it would do well. I push 2 large driveways with it. I have pushed upwards of a foot with it, it took me all day, but I did it. If your going to get an atv for a sidewalk machine, get an automatic. Ours is a semi automatic (no clutch) 5 speed. With winter boots on and snow buildup, its very hard to shift and change from fwd to rev. Also look for a machine in which the fron't end has a locker, our is an open diff and is a pain in the rear when it gets deep.