1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? Explore this quick video tour of updates and enhancements. It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best tires for 2500HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by purplehavoc, Feb 12, 2010.

1. purplehavoc

purplehavoc Member

Hey!
    Wondering what tires guys are having the best luck with for winter traction?
    I have a set of 285/75/16 Wild Country XTX on my 05 GM and they suck!!
    I am not happy needing 4x4 on flat ground,so these may have to go on the summer
    rims now.
    Anybody with thoughts on studded tires?
    Some opinions would be great before i go dump more cash on rubber.
    Thanks

2. T&M Snowplowing

T&M Snowplowing Junior Member

Tires

I'm on my second set of COUSER MSR tires. Cooper makes these tires. They have a nice
    aggressive thread. I wouldn't plow with anything else. I hope this helps you out.

3. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Ive ran most winters in 2wd on my Bridgestone Dueller A/T Revos when I was doing sidewalk crews. Even empty Ive yet to put it in 4wd even after these past two big storms. Alot has to do with driver also.

4. purplehavoc

purplehavoc Member

Both of those tires look good.
    Icey roads or a little bit of snow and i need 4by.Truck just spins under light throttle.
    Tire guy is saying it is crappy traction because of the tq of the diesel.
    Anyone else find the rear end of these trucks that touchy or are these new tires
    just that crappy?

5. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Its touchy with anything with that much tq down low. I have same prob but you should be better since the turbos not spooling that fast down low. These tires arent cheap but I love em. This is my second set and others lasted me about 40K miles (best yet) with towing almost everyday and slightly over on tongue weight. Smooth as hell too when get D range.

6. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I have a set of 265-75-16 GoodYear Wrangler Pro Grades on mine. I love them. I put them on all my trucks. The last well and the traction is great. I've never been stuck plowing so either the tires are great or I don't plow hard enough.

7. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

BFG All terrains is all I will ever own. Got 45k out of the last set which was fine with me. Im on my 3rd set now. They are pricey but worth every penny.

8. purplehavoc

purplehavoc Member

Second set of BFG at's on the f-150 crew with a unimount,and that thing plows
    wicked.
    Thses wild country's carry the snow flake desegnation,but man i just can't plant the
    power.
    With my bike sitting on top of the sand bags she hooks up better,but i can't carry
    that all the time.

9. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

I would go with BFG's. Love them and will buy them again.

10. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

I run Cooper Discover ATR's, 285/75/16's, they are a great tire, I don't have any issues in the snow with them, and my truckis awfully touchy too, a friend of mine like the Hankook Dynapro AT's, he said they are an awesome tire in the snow. He has them on an 06 Crew cab short bed Dmax with a ZF6 (manual trans)

11. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

I second that. I got the same mileage out of them as you, and I've had them on every truck i've ever owned.

12. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

yokahama geolander , i love these tires, they cost a mint, but the best tire i have ever owned. i am on my second set now

13. purplehavoc

purplehavoc Member

Really thinking i might have to ditch these tires for a set of BF's again.
    Last set of BF's on the ford got close to 100K km on them.Don't expect that out of
    this heavy pig,just want some decent traction.

14. haejinjoe

haejinjoe Junior Member

For snow removal purposes and winter use, I have been very happy with Bridgestone Blizzacks. Not sure if they come in the 285/16 size you currently have, but they do come in the 265/16. I've used them now for the third winter with very pleasing results.

I currently use the Yoko geolander h/t s for summer/wet tires and have been pleased with them for that use, but they have not been as good for the plowing I have used them for. The blizzacks have performed much better for that purpose.

For best traction, a slightly skinnier tire will perform better than a wider lower profile tire.

AverageJoe

15. advl66

advl66 Senior Member

i try toyo opencountry A/T's and i love them

16. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

Bridgestone revo's nothing else. expensive but well worth the money

17. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's- I've got them, have plowed on them for 2 winters (have about 19K on them, with about 50% tread remaining) so far and they are AWESOME in the snow! Especially deep snow is where they really shine- they dig in and get me anywhere I need to go! They're very pricey, but worth it to me IMO- and they look SICK, also awesome in mud...:)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  18. josh9410

josh9410 Member

i have 285/75/16 Cooper discoverer ATRs and i love them...they are great in the winter and a good summer tire also

19. purplehavoc

purplehavoc Member

Will probably step back down to a 265 on the stock rims for winter use
    as i run a different wheel/tire combo for summer/hunting season.

20. marylandbigb

marylandbigb Member

i just bought a set of dunlop rover max traction tires in LT 2857516 load e excellent traction tire and reasonably priced check them out at the tire rack