1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best tire ???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bullseye, Dec 13, 2009.

1. bullseye

bullseye Member

I just bought a 1990 Chevrolet Long Box Ext. Cab truck 2wd. I will mainly use this truck for work, it was a little older than I wanted but it is in mint shape. SO any ways, it needs tires !!! What tires do you guys recommend ??? I want the best of all worlds, a tire that lasts forever, gets good traction, and is reasonably priced !! The truck will usually have my quad or tools in the back OR be pulling my dumping or enclosed trailer. I know I can't haul a ton with this truck but would still like a decent tire on it. Let me know what tires you have and why you like them ?? After a bit of research I think I like Goodyear Silent Armours or Goodyear Duratracs but read mixed reviews about both them so still don't know what to buy ??????? Remember they don't have to be pretty just good !!
    Let me know !!!
  2. Novadiecast

Novadiecast Senior Member

Is it a 1/2, 3/4, or 1 ton? Would make a differance in selecting the right tire.
  3. markszz4

markszz4 Junior Member
    from nova

Bridgestone Dueler Revo
    Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor
    BFG Longtrail
  4. Dubliner

Dubliner Senior Member

Yokohamo Geolander AT-S, use them on my plow truck excellent wear and traction, just put 4 on my GMC 1500, It's awesum. Just my experiences and opinion. $.02
  5. bullseye

bullseye Member

Sorry guys, I forgot to mention it's only a 1/2 ton. The fella I bought it from put overloads on it though. Still think it will be a good work truck !! It has almost worn out BFG AT's on it now so I need new boots for it !!
  6. silvercity

silvercity Senior Member

Dura-Tracs very pleased put them on 2 trucks.
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You do realize that tire does not exist, correct? My first choices would be some nice Michelins, or BFG ATs.
  8. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

22 ply 15 inch tires

here 1 for ya get sum of them 22 ply 15 inch tires they use in asia for mining ore..the guys aroung here use these on there derby cars n they say it takes 5 guys to put 1 of these on the wheel and even no air in these you cannot tell they dont even look flat with 0 psi..yes they are 22 ply tires..run over glass n nails all year n flats.. even hi speed chase stop-sticks :waving:
  9. 1999 GMC 1500

1999 GMC 1500 Member

id say go for the toyo open country A/T ive got them on my 1999 gmc sierra 1500 and my 1995 gmc suburban 2500
  10. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Discoverer ATR'S Good for the money and fairly good traction....
  11. Outty330

Outty330 Member

Hankook dynapro atm rf10 if you can find them have heard great reviews but most dealers on back order Im gonna get a set for my Silverado.

12. mow4cash

mow4cash Member

2nd cooper discoverer ATR they ride great and have pretty good traction. I want something a little more aggressive but don't know if i want to give up the all around tire the atr is. There is really not one tire that can do everything its what u want it to do best.
  13. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Count me as third for this tire. I plow with them on my Dodge and I hardly ever use the 4x4.
  14. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

I always run muds and have great luck with them, not the best life but they eat snow.
  15. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Bullseye, I really like the BFG A/T, but being Canadian I actually found some that seem to be better value... I have never recommended a set of tires from Canadian Tire in my life but this time I will.

My S15 runs a set of CTC Roughrider M+S tires, they've been on there since 2005. I have about 40k kms on them and they still look nearly new. Grip in the snow is excellent, my only beef with them would be that they are a bit noisy on the pavement. Kinda wish they had more siping.

Anyways, I bought them at one of Canadian Tire's (very regular) Buy One Get One Half Price sales. Paid about $120 Cdn for the 1st one. Install and balance I believe was included. Mine are LT235/75R15's, the P series is cheaper but I wanted the weight capacity for plowing and salting.

Awful hard to beat for the price. Would happily buy them again. They even have the white letters if you're after a 'prettier' tire.

16. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Note there are also Roughrider A/T and A/P which are frequently confused, not as aggressive a tire.
  17. D&S snowplowing

D&S snowplowing Member

yokohamo geolander ATS tires are very reasonably priced great plowing traction and great wear....we had a set got 3 plowing seasons out of them and didnt switch them out for the summer... i got my hands on a set of BFGs really cheap and i would not tell anybody to buy them
  18. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

Agreed with the coopers!! I just put on some 265/75r16 disc. t/s's on my 2500hd and they kick ass. They're also 10 ply! They ride nice and wear slow. A little rumble to em but I like it!
  19. larold83

larold83 Senior Member

gi love my general grabber at/2s they are amazing check out tirerack.com and get a list of the tires above and check the ratings thats how i went with grabbers which is a off brand of cooper
  20. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

I'm also running Cooper Discover ATR's, I like them alot the do awesome in the snow, quiet on the road, and seem to be wearing good, even though I'm hard on them!

Cooper ATR's get my vote