1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

best tire for bobcat snow removal

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Broncslefty7, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

has anyone had a luck with a good bobcat snow tire?

the wold paws look like they work well.
  2. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

I searched the same thing on here, (use the search box upper right corner) and found several threads on the subject. Just signed the papers at my bank today for my new to me Case SV250. Should be picking it up next week. What I found with my searches was one of three things: either people recommend the Wolf Paw tires, or what I am looking at which is the Solideal Lifemaster. I got a quote online ($1170.00 for 4 including freight) from Midwest Equipment Sales, LLC (614-233-7368)for the Solideals. These are true skid steer tires with the proper weight rating for the weight of the machine, so you can use them year round without worry of overloading them. The third option which some guys are doing is picking up old 16" truck rims from the salvage yard and fabricating the correct bolt pattern to mount on the skid, then buying 16" truck tires to mount on them. They say doing this allows for more tire options, with cheaper prices and actually increases ground speed as well because the tire diameter is larger. This seems a little to "out there" for me. I'm going to give the Solideals a try. PM me with whatever you decide and I can let you know what I think of the Solideals after I use them if you decide to go with something else. One thing most are adamant about is that the standard skid steer tires that come on the machine SUCK in the snow. Good luck.
  3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Over 120 skids every season......factory tires hold there own pushing 10's

A good pusher box that cleans good will make the machine perform well and save on salt.
  4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Wolf paw tires.
  5. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Never used anything but stock skid tires and never had a problem. Most guys run into problems with not having the right size machine and pusher combo.
  6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Maybe if they could get some traction, you would only need 100 or so skids.:D

Snow tires are not a must but they do help with traction...a lot!
  7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Smart a$$!
  8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Really be in trouble if we got a 2nd lot :)
  9. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

yeah we are running 2 bobcat s770's with 9 ft. kages. we have 80 driveways to do in a complex.
  10. redclifford

redclifford Senior Member
    from Niagara

how did the lifemasters work out in the snow?
  11. derekslawncare

Don't know, never got them. I have moved since this thread started onto a ten acre property, and I bought a brush hog deck to mow with. The tires that were on the machine when I bought it a year ago were pretty much junk and I with all the rain this season, I was constantly getting stuck out in the field, so I bought a set of the airless tires from summit supply. They have the standard bar lug tread design. If I don't like them this winter, I still have the old wheels that I can mount some lifemasters on for the winter months. What did you end up getting?
  12. redclifford

from Niagara

I haven't bought any yet, I know from my research that wolf paws are obviously better for pushing snow but so many guys just run normal tires and have no issues?
    Hard for me to go and put a good chunk of money down for winter tires and then ill have to buy a new set of tires for summer because the ones I have now are bald.

So I can either buy one set
    Buy two sets and a set of rims

I think im leaning towards one new set, from what I've researched the lifemasters are good for both seasons....
    Can anyone comment on them?
  13. Silverstreak

Silverstreak Senior Member

best ones ive owned bought my machine from a guy in mass who swears by these ive gone through 4 3-piece sets of cheapos and i still have one of these left on my machine with 20% tread after 6 years

just bought a new set of 4 expensive but worth it these were 220 each, cheapos are 90-120 each

ps seems the smaller knob pattern spins less than the larger block tread
  14. subydude

subydude Junior Member
    from RI

Over the tire tracks? I personally don't own a skid but have heard some good things about these. Also pretty useful in the summer if your trying to "tread lightly"....
  15. derekslawncare

OTT tracks are steel and are not suitable for plowing on paved surfaces. I am looking at a set for my skid for summer use.
  16. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

These are great. Very similar to Wolfpaw but half the price. Narrower tire means more weight per sq. inch contacting the ground, hence better traction.

17. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

I had a set of them airless foam filled would not push worth a dam. I found a guy on line Midwestern. I explained what was going on. He recommended a 16 that pushes well and works good on the construction jobs. I bought a set of rims and tires for under $1500.00 free shipping. I know of 3 guys that seen them and knew the price and bought the same tire. I bought the rims with them so I could change over easy if I had to go where nail etc.were present.
  18. redclifford

from Niagara

What kind of tire is that/ where did you get them
  19. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

Search West Side Tire in Minn. Pretty close to wolf paws but several hundred cheaper, going on 3rd season and absolutely love them over stock. Stocks do work but these tires really save time and give allot more control and traction.
  20. redclifford

from Niagara

How are they on pavement, the skidsteer also does alot of stacking on different sites, we always throw down some snow on the pavement to help