1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? Explore this quick video tour of updates and enhancements. It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best tips and tricks for plowing ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BossPlowMaster, Aug 10, 2013.

1. BossPlowMaster

BossPlowMaster Senior Member

I started off plowing about 3 years ago now (4th season this winter) and ive always done really good on my routes and have always gotten things done on time and really nice looking. I again also look for ways to improve my techniques so i guess i am asking everyone, What are your plowing tips and tricks?

Thanks

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Drive fast and take chances

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I find what's best is to,drop the plow, go forward then raise plow and go backwards.

4. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Get a good paying job with benefits and forget about plowing.

5. grandview

Being your in Erie ,you'll make more an hr at Burger King then plowing.:realmad:

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

stay home..

7. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

Tips

TACK IT OUT, AND DON'T LIFT TILL IT SOUNDS EXPENSIVE:laughing:, No just kidding ,slow and steady wins this type of raceThumbs Up

8. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

That's why I push seasonal. :Thumbs Up:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  9. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

If you plow with an automatic,,,,never wait till you come to a complete stop before going into reverse. And if you plow with a manual,,,,,ride that clutch to keep your speed dwn
    Bahaha. Just had to get that out

10. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Tough group

You guys are being hard core.

Sounds like if you are getting finished in a timely manner and clients are happy you are doing some things right. Hopefully you are making a good profit. For many contractors that in itself is a trick.

Good luck in year four.

11. grandview

I'd give up Peteo first born to be done on time.

12. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

You can't teach inspiration! Even after 25 years of plowing I still come up with new tricks. I'll be plowing and start laughing at myself, wondering why I never thought of an idea before. Special strategies like -the roundy round,the straight blade swiss cheese, the arcing back blade supreme,or the offset low spillover side walk helper. If I took videos I would attain hero status. My ultimate achievement- plowing for hours without backing up- (dreaded international standard trans )gps tracking would have shorted out.

13. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Need to elaborate in the straight blade Swiss cheese

14. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

He nelaborate elibrate on all those dance moves.

15. leigh

from CT

All in good time, need to make sure patents and trademarks are in place.

16. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I plowed for 3 hours forward. My reverse was out. It was new Tranny time, but I finished the event. My Tranny was paid for with that event.

17. leigh

from CT

"Swiss cheesing the lot" - Probably a very common strategy. Best implemented with 6" or heavier snow totals. It's when I plow at high speed with my 10' fisher mc with the blade straight. My goal is to move as much snow as possible in the shortest time. When I'm done the lot looks like a total mess. I'm followed by the windrowing blizzard 810 (pre dd of course). This method can be utilized during an event to make plowing easier and faster when event is over. Also used when the windrow gets so large the truck that's plowing can only take a small bite. Then I do a "backside windrow reduction" to help remove the impediment(a hindrance or obstruction in doing something) to efficient plowing.
    Professor Plow :salute:

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I used to do that all the time, with a slight variation. I would angle the blade and take a full bite and not worry about spillover. I also took the weight off the blade. Extra weight on the front tires reduced being pushed sideways and saved a little cutting edge wear.

Then go back and clean up nice and pretty

19. gwhalen3

gwhalen3 Member

I've only been plowing snow for 20 years and every year I feel like I just started so do what ever feels right