1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Time To " Truck Hunt ", and Truck Purchasing Advice ?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Lil' Danny, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Lil' Danny

Lil' Danny Member

Hello group,

I am looking for some advice on when the best time of the year is to go out and look for my first pick-up. I'm keenly interested in a ( 2000-2006 ) Chevrolet Silverado 2500 with a Duramax ( cab and a half ) preferably with a tow package too. I would also like to plow snow with it. I skim this website quite a bit and see/learn a lot from you guys. I'm 16 years old and I get my licence in March. I know I have a lot of time, but I would like to know if you guys have some tips and advice for me. I have a consistent job ( when not in school ) and I've been saving about everything since I was 14 years old for my truck. Any and all help is appreciated !

Thanks !
  2. chasity2682

chasity2682 Member
    from canada

Keep youe eyes open now, After these huge sales are done with the big truck companies a lot of people will be selling there old trucks or trading them in on new ones, So you should start to see a lot of them coming up for sale.
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

As long as you have cash....anytime is good to buy
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Spring time ,thats when plow guys sell their trucks because they didn't make enough to pay for it.
  5. FeelLikeANumber

FeelLikeANumber Member

Last year I bought mine when gas was $4.30 a gallon (august), now its back down around a $2.50 avg. That was the best time I had found to buy a truck. I pretty much named my price. NOW would prob be a great time to buy. I heard from the salesman when I bought mine that truck/4x4 prices increase as we get closer to winter because people get worried about driving in snow so they trade to 4x4's. If buying used truck/plow buy in springtime and sit on it til winter. Just a thought.
  6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Depending what you have to spend check with banks on repo trucks. With the cash for clunkers thing a lot of people probably went out and got new vehicles. Alot of them probably didn't plan ahead far enough to plan for monthly payments. I bet you'd be able to pick up a late 08 or early 09 diesel from any of the big 3 for a nice price cut compared to getting a new one from the dealer here in a few months when people run out of money to pay for them.
  7. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I have always felt like the spring or the middle of summer is the best time. Car lots are trying to sell sports cars and convertibles in the summer they do not ant plow trucks on the lot. The other thing I believe is the last few days of the month is a great time to buy, they might go a little lower on price because the salesman wants to make more on his/her monthly commission check.

I have been looking for another truck this summer, I was watching one at a car lot for a while. They were asking $14,900 for it in July...I called them the first week of September and the same guy told me it was $15,400.

Just my thoughts.
  8. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Have your money saved so when you find a truck you can buy it if possible without taking a loan.
    While you are waiting to get you license search the internet & local papers so you get the feel for general price range. Be patient and wait for the right deal there are plenty of them out there.
    Have someone who is experienced mechanically go with you so that you don't buy someones junk.
  9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Depends what you have to spend. Also, if a Dmax, plan for 01 and newer, that's when they came out ;)
  10. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Check your insurance rates before considering buying a truck like the ones you mentioned...that might change your mind ...theres alot more then just buying a truck to consider when someone at your age is in the market for a truck

Good luck