1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best time to snow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pcs, Nov 22, 2001.

1. pcs

pcs Senior Member

When would you say the best time for it to snow? And when is the worst time?
  2. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

No snowfall until all fall cleanups are done and we've had a couple weeks to rest. Every snowfall to be 4" of light and fluffy and be done by 12:00am.

I hate plowing while it's still snowing and then having the lot re-covered right after you've just plowed it. Actually, I'd rather have salt events than snow, more profit, less work.
  3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Start after 7 pm, end around 12:00 am. Gives you 7 to 8 hours to clean stuff up.

Worst, starts around 2 am, with 4" on the ground at 6, and still snowing hard, with another 4 hours of snow on the way.

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Best,start afternoon,over by 11 pm,3-6",all work donr overnight,no idiot cummuters to competet with,and your in bed by noon the next day.
  5. pcs

pcs Senior Member

Geoff - when something like that happens do you just try to open everything up before 7:00?
  6. GeoffD

Open up, rough plow, salt heavy. Work the laneways till the snow stops. Do the lots we can do during the day. Do the residentials when the storm is done. Then at night when places start to close, start cleaning them up.

We keep the sidewalk crews on the commercials till the storm is done. Do they clear the walks 100% no, but 75% of them is cleared. When the storm stops they clean the walks and treat them 100%

Last edited: Nov 22, 2001
  7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

3" all done snowing by Saturday night around 11.

Worst? Any weekday when its still snowing like mad after 7 am.
  8. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

Sounds like everyone agrees.

Start after 5pm rush and over by 12am. Lots of little snows. 2-3"

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

i agree whole heartedly with geoff any time you have an open window from early evening on to push snow and seemingly have all the time you need it is a blessing and treat.........i am lucky if we get these times a couple times a season
  10. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

I would agree with the done by midnight. But what about a light snow all day long? lots of sanding is nice.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

If I got to choose the day and time of a snowfall it would have to be on a Sunday after 3 PM ending at about 11 PM. Most commercials and restaruants are closed so it gives you plenty of time to get finished before daybreak.

Geoff does describe the"nightmare" correctly, weekday during rush hour.
  12. GeoffD

When you get a weekday morning storm like that, you can through your list right out the window. You list will start with the places that open up first, when doing the rough plow, and end with the ones that open last.

When doing your final clean up, start with the ones that close first, end with the ones that close last.

13. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

When I am all done with my exterior construction projects. HAHA
    I would say Fri night when all my commercials will be closed for the weekend. That gives me 48hrs + to get everything done.
  14. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

For me? Since I have a full-time job Mon/Fri I will be working as a sub this season, so it's best if it snows all Friday night so I can plow on the weekend and make $$$! :D
  15. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Anytime between now and May is fine with me. I will plow night, day, during the week or the weekend. Yes plowing is easier at night. Of course if something breaks even if you have parts you are out fixing it in the dark and usually colder. During the day there is traffic but often visibilty is better. Snow has to be removed that is what we are paid for. We do our job no matter what time it is.
  16. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

I would say the best time for it to snow is in the winter, and it helps if it is cold. The worst time would have to be summer. [​IMG]