1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best time to put down anti skid

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ianlester, Nov 22, 2014.

1. ianlester

ianlester Junior Member

I am wanting to put down anti skid on a snow covered dirt road that has been plowed and now they are calling for rain. The road runs through thick hemlocks in the woods so it won't melt before rain. When is the best time to anti skid before or after rain? Has been anti skidded earlier in the week but gets a lot of truck traffic from oil and timber business's. It is also has steep areas. On top of mountain.
  2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

What is "anti skid" - road salt?
  3. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

I assume its sand. I would wait until it starts to rain, put down some sand and then later in the day. If its going to be rain on top of a plowed dirt road its going to keep freezing so your going to have to sand it through out the rain storm.
  4. lfaulstick

lfaulstick Member
    from PA

anti skid is usually sand and pea gravel mix...some use lime stone chips or 1b stone...

is the road hilly or flat....when i do the dirt roads for gas and forestry i try to cinder road every time i plow..that way as the ice melts there always layers of anti skid....works good on flats and corners minor hills....if you apply on hill and it rains hard it usually washes it all off...what i try to do is go back out when done raining and before temp falls below freezing...then when it does freeze it kind of bonds the gravel to the ice...

5. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I always sand my roads once the snow storm is over and my roads are all scraped clean. If they are calling for rain I'll go out and check my roads when it starts raining and if they are getting slick I'll put more sand on. If it keeps refreezing you just have to keep sanding.