1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

best time to plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cat320, Nov 26, 2002.

1. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I think the best time to be out plowing is late at night real quiet and peacful but hard to get coffee;) .

2. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

i agree with you on that but as it goes writtin in most snow plow owners manuals "always plow with the storm" isnt that right.

Jay

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Yes yur right now that i think about it,should of phrased it different I wish all the storms hit at night :)

4. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

best time to plow is , when you can!

5. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

LOL i hear ya buddy im pumped about tonights snow into tomorrow. Cant wait to drop the blade for the first snow of the season.

Jay

6. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I love plowing at night, no jerks on the roads and the the djs play the best tunes.

7. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

What I like about nights best is NO TRAFFIC TO GET IN YOUR WAY! :)

8. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Man, around here it seems like everyone and their brother goes out in the snow. There are always people on the streets, i like between 1 and 4 in the morning, no rushhour, no pissy people, but a lot of silly people just driving around. Course everyone that has a truck has a plow, so that also adds to the confusion... sure is hectic, but wouldnt trade the job for the world! :D

9. chrisby316

chrisby316 Senior Member

Night is definately best. No one in your way! Radio is good no real rush to get things done. where as when you plow during that day you have to rush around making sure all your commercials are plowed of opening and close.

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

For me, the best time is just after daybreak. There is no gas station open around here before 6:00. No coffee within 30 miles. No help if I get stuck. Too easy to run off the roads/driveways in the dark.

I plow "with the storm" if we get more than about 8" and so far only have one person who needs to be out by 6:00 to go to work. Next one needs to be open by 7:45 for their kids to get to school. Then it's get there whenever. Retired, disabled and self-employed working from home.

11. A.L. Inc.

A.L. Inc. Member

I agree with Snowybowtie-I like plowing at night, but I really have to be careful also. People are out walking, kids are riding sleds, some people are even on quads or snowmobiles. After about 12 or 1 am, there usually are very few people out. And I agree, the DJ's do play better music at night:) Mike

12. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Not here!

It seems they have a limited playlist at night here, after about 3 to 4 hours, you start hearing all the same songs again. I have to keep changing stations.

One station here plays the same weather forcast for almost 24 hours, it's almost comical when things have stopped and they're predicting 6" of snow!

13. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

two words: Art Bell :D Who needs music when you can hear about how "They're watching me right now. I can't tell you who they are, because I fear what may happen, but they are out there. And they know things they won't tell us."

14. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

I get sick of hearing the same stupid commercials over and over. You have to change not only stations but station formats. Once you get tired of hearing about acne pimple cream on the "new rock" station you can change to the News/talk format and listen to the commercials for hemorrhoid ointment.

But to get back on topic, Midnight til 6 a.m. ,and if the storm starts late we make sure to get into and out of the downtown accounts before we have to fight rush hour, and then do the suburban stuff.

15. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Plowing during night in the dark is quite a challenge, at least for a beginner like me. When it is dark, you have limited visibility and cannot always see everything in your path very well. This is when an auxiliary backup light come in handy. I have one on my '89 Toyota, mounted just above the tailgate. The vehicle backup lights on my Toyota taillights was terrible, very dim. With a flick of switch, I have an much better backup light and can see much better, but still it is a challenge. I agree that what is nice about plowing during night is that there is no traffic in your way.

16. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Not on the College Campus were I plow. These college kids are out and about all night long.

17. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Plows down

My guys all say the same thing, when they here ACDC back in black over the cell phone, they know its plow time. That is my all time favorite plowing CD. It gets me through the 3-4 am hour when I am the most tired. The best time for me to plow is the next day after a big storm. The landscape is still gorgeous, and since its the next day, any plowing I am doing is gravy, I am the hero, and it also means that things went well the night/ day before. It also means I got a good nights sleep.
    Dino