1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

best tech for deep snow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by captbo, Feb 6, 2010.

1. captbo

captbo Senior Member

HI all I am in my first year plowing with a bronco and an 8' western , I did a 100' drive this am and had no problem, moving about 12" of snow, while its still coming down I went and did another one and got stuck 3 times, I tried to move it as I did the first one and it just wasn't't working

what is the best way other than being able to plow every 3-8"
    we don't typically get big snow fall here but right now the pld yeard stick reads 24"

Thanks

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

When the snow gets heavy, weight is your friend. Broncos can make great plow trucks, but it's difficult to get much weight on them. So you need to get very good tires, and chains.

And you always need to be thinking about the next storm/pass. Where are you going to put the snow? Push back as far as you can.

3. captbo

captbo Senior Member

I have 650lbs in the back (sand bags) how much more do you think might make a difference, I will have to look for some chains

4. pelt35

pelt35 Senior Member

You don't have to plow the whole 12" at once, you can lift your plow up 5-6" and take that off and then come back for the balance. Try not to let it get to 12" in future if possible , set your triggers low enough to do it more then once if need be.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Take less of a "cut" at the snow.
    Don't try to take a full 8' pass when it gets real deep.
    Plow it when it get 4 or 5....you make more money that way plus it is easier to move

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That's probably as much weight as you want to carry. Another thing you can do is hold the blade up some. Puts more weight on the front tires. Gives you more traction, and better control of the truck.

Chains will be the ticket. If you can get them to clear on the front, run them there, or both axles.

7. captbo

captbo Senior Member

I rely tried to get the customers to undersatnd but you and I both know how people can be we now have near 27" on the ground perhaps next time they will listen

8. captbo

captbo Senior Member

Thanks I understand what yo are saying but most of what I have are driveways

I put the chains on all four corners

Thanks all I appreciate your pointers and experience

Bo

9. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

The weight of two feet of snow changes everything

What you may be experencing too if you are NOT used to plowing a couple of feet of snow is that after you make your first pass down the lot you now do not have 24" of snow anymore you have a hole that now has two THREE FOOT piles on each side of it! That is certainly not going to push around the same as the TWO foot that was undisturbed. Now when you try to start windrowing it you have got more than the outfit can handle, without changing your techneque...............
    Fisher used to have a chart years ago; that came with a 7 1/2 ft SpeedCast plows that said you could only go with a blade full of snow if it was 6" or less; and for a foot you should hold the blade up 6" and make your first pass; and then you could take the rest on the next pass. That of course was all true; but it didnt say anything about the piles that you created on each side that were now 2ft high!!!! And what to do with that ???? You can probably imagine how much easier it would be to make your first pass in if your plow Veed back ????? If you have chains????A Locking rear end; so you had two wheels pushing with those chains insead of just one??? All this stuff reallys comes into it when you get into two feet of snow.
    We had a storm here this year and we got 20" of wettish snow by 3am ; and then it turned to rain, :cry: and it poured on it for 3hrs; and then quit, so it was more like loose cement than snow:dizzy:
    I was plowing with my tractor, with a 7 1/2 ft Fisher plow on the front of it, and the snow had now settled to about 15" of the heavest snow you could ever imagine and plowing down hill with the tractor that has unreal traction {rear tires have 300lbs of Rimguard in each of them ; and we are chained up "all the way around"with an 800lb box scrapper hanging off the three point hitch; and I can lock the rear wheels togeather } But if I wanted to take it all the way to the ground; I could only take ONE THIRD of the width of the blade, wesport If I tryed to take anymore and it will just break the rear wheels loose and push the whole tractor sideways................... just toooo much weight in front of the blade :salute:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Both wheels push the same, with or without a locker.

11. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

So since were on this topic and Iam new to plowing this year, were suppose to get 8-12" on Tuesday here in the D (Detroit) I have a f250 diesel and will be plowing some large lots like toys r us, I have an f250 turbo diesel 6.0 '04 and do you think that I would have to lift the plow up an inch or to or would I be able to just plow, I have AT tires too and a log bed and will have a load of salt in the bed.

12. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

sometimes, with a straight blade, you have to chew away at it, and push to the side. 3 or 4 to the left, 3 or 4 to the right.... or if you can get a place pushed ahead, and well back, you can keep taking bites. and pushing into that spot.. it's alot of work, but our 77 bronc' been doin it since dad put a plow on it in '82

13. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Not a good idea in my book. Always want to have as much pavement as possible under you. If it is light and fluffy you should be able to push right though it. If it is heavy and wet the best thing to do is "scoop" at it. Take small amounts at the entire depth and push it to the right then, the left right then left.

I would never leave 5-6" of snow under my wheels, when you drive on it, it will pack it down and create hardpack leaving it slick and the plow will not scrape good. Leaving a hazardous condition and and unhappy customer. JMO

Definately don't let it go more than 6" in the future. If the customer doesn't want to pay for it tell them they can pay for the towtruck to pull you out and the the cost of loosing business when waiting for the truck.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  14. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

No, you do not hold the blade up on a lot other wise you might get a hard pack. insted just make your first pass to open up then only bite off half blades worth of snow and make sure you are always windrowing in the same direction.

Plus you should be plowing with the storm anyway on a lot. When you hit your trigger go plow even if its 4 times that day.

15. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Get up to about +/- 25mph and drop the blade right before you reach the driveway

16. corkireland

corkireland Senior Member

Then tell us all of your great stories about how you ended up through the customes garage! after the 25 mph ramming speed!!!:salute:

17. captbo

captbo Senior Member

Big Thanks for all

I was able to go out this am and help clear our church lot and a small buisness, lot! I did get stuck at the church because the main entrance way had a good bit of ice from people driving on
    I went and check on a few jobs and the snow was just too deep! I will call these folks back and try ti get them on board for the next fall

This truck works great!
    Thanks again Bo

18. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Did you have your blade angled??? The big question is, are you lacking the ability to push the snow or are you getting stuck, because because you are sliding around. I have been stuck plenty of times for reasons like getting the blade hung up, to hitting the bank a little too hard with the plow angled and getting "pushed" sideways into the bank. I have only had 2 times that I actually could not push all the way to my bank. 150 plus feet and both were plowing over 30 inches that fell overnight that was not supposed to fall, thanks lake effect. Neither time did I get stuck and I could just back down the path I made. I have a short box 95 f 150 Meyer 7.5 and no weight in the back. Both times I got 100 feet or so and the truck just did not have the weight and power to keep going. I plow towards the street at my place on the first pass and I had a 6 foot pile 3/4 the way up the drive and had to get the tractor out both times. These were extreme lake effect events. I have never had a problem pushing 12 to 20 inches at a full angle and then taking little bites after that. Fluid film to help roll the snow off the blade helps too. I only plow for myself and my grandmother, but many times I have to plow x2 a day due to lake ontario.