1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Tarp to Cover Bulk Salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by PGHplowguy, Nov 15, 2011.

1. PGHplowguy

PGHplowguy Senior Member

This is the first year I will be having bulk salt stored on my property. I am not having a building built so thus I need to tarp it up. For those of you whom do so already what tarp(s) are best to use to keep all snow/rain/moisture from penetrating through to the salt? What brand? Any special way to tell the correct one to use from the incorrect ones? Double sided,.....? Should I have 2 layers or will one suffice?

The pile will be 1 Tri-axle load, 23 tons on average.

Thanks for the help!

2. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

It's a pain in the back no matter what you do.
    We did tarp last year and it is a pain to uncover, keep the tarp down in windy conditions, etc,

Heavy duty tarp and old tires is my suggestion.

3. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i have just used the blue tarps and that worked O.K. The best part about those is they are easy to move up the pile to uncover. I currently use old billboard "tarps" that i get from a friend who installs them. They are much better but extremely heavy to pull or lift off and up a salt pile, especially when it's been snowed on,
    Steve

4. PGHplowguy

PGHplowguy Senior Member

Bulk Salt Pile

I am having salt stored in my driveway this year. It is a gravel drive. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can load the salt effectively with my bobcat without also picking up gravel? My 2 ideas are to put down a few pieces of plywood starting from the back and slightly overlapping them like shingles so that the bucket doesn't catch a piece. And/or to put down a 2 inch layer of sand. That will act as a warning that I am a bit low. Any good opinions are appreciated. Thank you.

5. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Be prepared to have a mess... The salt will melt and soften the ground in and around your salt pile. Every time you drive over the area it'll start to mush more and more. Just like a soft wet lawn..
    I know from experience, decided to put a few extra loads of salt on plywood over gravel and cover with a tarp. It made a huge mess! And the run off was also an issue. The retention pond that was used for watering nursery stock in the holding area had gotten such a large concentrate of salt run off that it couldn't be used for almost the whole season.

6. procut

procut Senior Member

I second be prepared for a mess. I would vote for the sand under it. I've tried to scoop material with a loader off of plywood before and no matter how careful I tried to be it seemed like i always ended up getting under the plywood somehow.

7. PGHplowguy

PGHplowguy Senior Member

The gravel is (2B I think) and there is a good 4-5 inch thickness at least. You think that the ground will still be soggy? Think it will help if I can get a couple of those large concrete/re-bar blocks and make a border for the 3 walls? Thanks.

8. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

Zorescos has 20 foot containers for 100.00 a month .

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Round bale tarps are the best, you can trim the corners off to make it the right size. They also have eyelets to pull when covering and uncovering. Skids work better then old tires for holding the tarp down. Tires are ok but the water in them really sucks. Skids also handle the wind better.

10. tailboardtech

tailboardtech Senior Member

blue tarps and old tires even the county i work for uses them sometimes when they over fill the domes lol

11. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Im in the same boat, need to tarp the pile this year. What sizes are you guys using for 23 tons?

12. PGHplowguy

PGHplowguy Senior Member

I always tarp my dump truck load after getting salt. In my opinion the common blue tarps let just a hint of moisture through and made my salt for a top crust when cold enough a lot faster then the double sided black/green or silver tarps. The double sided are much more expencive, but if it keeps the salt dry then it is well worth it.

If anyone who knows different please tell me. I guesstimated... that 23 tons will space out to about 22x22 feet give or take. With the vertical factor I'm thinking a 40x40 tarp will completely cover the pile and still have a bit extra on the sides.

13. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

put heavy plastic under it and dont scrap it with the bucker....

14. PGHplowguy

PGHplowguy Senior Member

Alright... What kind of plastic? Where do you get it? Would you nail it down to keep it in place?

15. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

You will be fine. Just have to take your time. When I put my bin at my shop together I ran out of time and had to put my salt on just 57 lime stone. It junked the stone/base all up but the price to fix that is not anything to stress about.

16. Rain Man

Rain Man Senior Member

Go into the pile of salt slow pick up the bucket and tool the bucket toward you. You should get a full bucket full

17. PGHplowguy

PGHplowguy Senior Member

OK. So you do not think I will run into any of my worries? Do you know from experience or just an educated guess? I'm now thinking of putting a 1 layer row of those 4'x2'x2' concrete blocks on the 2 sides and back. This should hold the pile tight without it being pushed every where. Damn thing is though I can not find anywhere online that sells/rents them. Anyone know of a place? Preferably in or close to Pittsburgh PA? Thanks.

18. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

For the blocks call the nearest concrete plant they should have them they are made with left over concrete from the trucks. The problem I see for you with blocks is that they are heavy & your bobcat might not be able to move them. They aren't expensive but the trucking can be. I debated when unbuilt my bin to either use the block or set 6x6 posts with 2x6's for walls, I went the wood route, it works but I should of done the block, but at the time all I had were bobcats to move them & no good way to build it. I will either have to brace my walls or build a new bin shortly (going on 4th season with this one) with blocks, & I'm pretty muck the only one that uses it, if I had employees loading it would be destroyed already.

19. Tbrothers

Tbrothers Senior Member

Its gonna be a real mess.

20. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

You could try a sea container. I would at least put the concrete cubes on the sides and end. Call your local cement plant they will have them as far as trucking just stop there with your trailer or even a pickup and have them set one or two depending on vehicle in the back on your way home every night. To set them a large skid will be fine if you dont have a large skid you may have to hire someone to set them they should weigh 3-5 thousand pounds depending on how they make them there. We have bought used and set hundreds if not thousands of these cubes over the years its no big deal. The main problem you will have will be the salt getting hard so cover the pile. Good luck