1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Tailgate Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by sailscall01, Feb 26, 2008.

1. sailscall01

sailscall01 Member

Well I am finally going to break down and purchase a tailgate spreader. Just wondering from everyone what are the best tailgate spreaders out there.. Looking at a SnoEx MiniPro 575. Applications would be small shopping centers and other med size lots :drinkup:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  2. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

You'll need more than a 575 for that.

3. cbr9joe

cbr9joe Junior Member
    from ohio

same here

Good question. I was looking at doing the same but was looking at the buyers s508. I want something that can be completely operated from inside the truck.

4. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

I have a 575 that's a year old I'd get rid of.

No controller.

5. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

I had buyers and snow ex. I got rid of my 3 year old buyer for the snow ex. I only got 2 years of use out of before it needed a new motor. Expencive! The buyers motors are cheap! The buyers is going on 8 year on orignal motor! Wish I would have kept the buyers! If you can splurg get a salt dogg. I love mine! No problems yet and it going on 2 years and hundereds of tons of salt! Buyers is a nice spreader and is good for the budget. Snow ex is proud of their stuff. High$$$$$ for something that is no different than anybody elses spreader. They have a nice & small controler though! The 575 has a nice hitch mount witch might be what you are looking for but so does the buyers on thier smaller spreader. If was to do it over again buyers! Thats my 2 cents that I have gone through personaly. Good luck on choosing!

6. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

ya' know I'm in the market too.
    Not interested in some hunking box blocking my view. Low profile. Easy on and off. Swing open would be cool. Tight lid. I don't want any problems from it. Size .... small lot's, driveways.

Idea's?? ( the local shops only recommend what they get the biggest comp on ). I'm not interested in paying more just for a name. THANKS!!!

7. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

If your going for quality and want a far spread and run buld with no problem go with a snow ex 1875 swing mount. If you want to go cheap and easy parts go with a buyers/meyers direct drive traditional spreader that holds 600lbs. motors are only around 100 bucks make sure they have the hitch receiver welded to the frame of spreader

8. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

9. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

has anyone ever figured out WHY snow-ex is so dam expensive? there spreader's are quality sure.....but why 3 or 4 times the price?

at first i was EXTREMELY scepticale of an all electric spreader but after hearing all of the good experiances of the saltdogg poly i will put one in the fleet for next year....without hy-jacking this thread can anybody tell me any BAD experiances with them (pm me if you want)

thanks RICK

10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I have a Western 1000 spreader. Works great and will spread wet sand if you mix it with some dry ice melt.

11. WI OLY

WI OLY Junior Member

I have the SnowEX 575. No problems and good unit. Look for low profile and swing out in order to get at salt in back of truck if you have a cap. You might want the SnowEX 1075 which holds more salt and not much more money.

12. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

I have the Buyers TG501 or whatever the new large 800-900lb TG is with the swing away and the unit can be had for a grand with the swing gate brackets. 1200 with vibe.

I cant imagine paying over 3 grand for the snow ex unit.

I've run 30 tons of salt through my TG this season. I am selling it this summer to upgrade to a Vbox more than likely but if I had to buy a second unit I wouldn't think twice about buying another Buyers TG.

13. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I like " Magnum " Salt Spreaders, They are Sweet units and are built right here in Akron Ohio

14. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

i have a western 1000 and you should read the "western 1000 low on power" thread,...

would i buy it again?.......no
    i would go get the BOSS unit cuz it has a flow control and a bigger wheel and a bag splitter/screen stock. screen was 100 from western for mine...geeeze,...

my friends BOSS 500something makes me wish i never bought my western....it's a very nice unit. 2000 i think...with the vibe...tailgate/hitch/power mount

15. bobcatboy06

bobcatboy06 Member
    from PA

I would get a western pro flow two

16. sailscall01

sailscall01 Member

Thanks for all the replies.. Greatly appreciated:salute:

17. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

I have a Sno Way 9cu ft, and I love it! Everything flows well through it (bagged salt, bulk salt, Clearlane, sand/salt mix) as long as the vibe is turned on. I've put close to 75 tons through it this season, and other than every now and then needing to kick start the auger it has performed flawlessly. The only problem with using it for large lots is that you need to get out and refill it all the time.

I don't know about the other tailgate spreaders, but Sno Way doesn't recommend using sand, but w/the bulk sand/salt I've been buying it works great. I tried using Tube Sand a couple of times, and it would clog up very badly and I used 5x more than if I had spread it by hand.

18. Enzo

Enzo Senior Member

I am also looking for a spreader that I can mount on my Ford F250. I need something that can stay on to salt, and be easily moved out of the way to get snowblowers in the bed of the truck. Are there any good spreaders that can slide out of the way to make the bed accesible. I would also want something that I can control inside the cab.

19. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i have a western 1000 swingaway works great might be interested in selling
    i live outside phila.

JR

20. P&M Landscaping

P&M Landscaping Senior Member

I'd go with the BOSS. ... It's a bit pricy but it's worth the money. Easy to hook up, and has in-cab controls