1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

best tailgate spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by kings of grenn, Jan 3, 2013.

1. kings of grenn

kings of grenn Junior Member

I have a few small commercial properties that I subcontract out because I don't own a spreader.my sub puts down approximately 1ton of 70/30 sand/ salt for me. Of course I hate giving him my money so im looking for a spreader. I have a f250 with a 8ft bed.we do a lot of residential driveways so I carry 4 snow blowers in the bed.my budget is not huge but I dont want a junk spreader! My question is what type of tailgate spreader would you guys recommend? Thanks guys

2. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

a ton of salt per event?
    do you have a place to store bulk or bagged salt?
    you may have to have pallets of bag salt at different locations because you will not have much room in your truck for salt bags or you will be doing quite a few trips back to the shop

id say any of the plow brand my boss has a snow ex one
    view this thread
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=59455

3. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

a freind of mine runs a buyers and it works good it did rot at the bottom where the spinner is and i rebuilt it but that was from not cleaning it ever! buyers parts are avalible everwhere also

4. kings of grenn

I do have a shop that is in a good location. How much does buyers hold?

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I dont even know where to begin, we've done just about everything and even thinking about it is exhausting,lol I just remember all the hardships we endured. If I were you, just buy a Fisher 1000 and be done with it, we ran one for years problem free, heck we even ran bulk through it for a year. Its time to start looking into running bulk.

6. kings of grenn

I looked up the fisher. I like the swing away model what is a good price on it

7. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

buyers holds 800lbs

8. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

I would look at running bulk salt. If you can find a used spreader that can run bulk . Then go for it. I wouldn't waste my money on a new unit that mounts to your hitch and can spread bulk aka pro flow 2 or something like it. Once you see the cost of one of this units. Realizing you can have a v-box for just a few hundred more. Plus you can grow into it not out of it.

9. kings of grenn

True T-trim but I need room in my bed for blowers maybe a 6' and that would leave me 2' up front

10. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

SnowEX 1875

I would look at a SnowEx 1875 with a swing away gate kit. We run several of them and they work great. A little freezing rain for this event.

Freez rain on truck.jpg

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Airflo MSS,,,,,,,,,,

12. kings of grenn

Wayne how good are the motors

13. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Buyers TGS05 and add a vibrator. Simple, big, run it off a 12v switch. You can run whatever material you want out of it.

14. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

look at the smallest salt dogg v-box. then you should still have room for your blowers.

15. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

SnowEx 1875

We run four of the 1875's as well as other larger models and have not had any motor issues. We've had great success with them.

16. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Wayne, got any on the receiver mounts or are they all swing mounts? If you do, what plus/minuses have you had?

17. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

18. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Is the guy you are subbing using bags?
    Running70/30 probably not.
    Are you now charging enough to cover bagged salt-vs-bulk?

Bagged salt has a much higher cost involved so once you know if you will make money using bagged or if you need to run bulk then you should decide on which salter to get.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  19. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

I just got rid of my TGS06, dont buy that unless you're using dry dry dry unclumped rock salt.

20. procut

procut Senior Member

X2 on the snowex 1875. I've had one for several years and never had any problems with it. They're a great spreader but pricey. With the swing mount, and installation, tax, ect. I have close to $3,400 into mine.