1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best tailgate spreader for bulk sand?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by canoebuildah, Feb 28, 2008.

1. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

I have access to bulk sand/salt mixture that the town uses on their big trucks. It is wet and gritty. I'd like to use a tailgate spreader. I have been reading through previous posts and it seems like I can add a vibrator to a tailgate spreader.

Has anyone had any luck with that type of setup?

Thanks,

Chris

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Not sure of any tailgate spreaders that will handle that. Plus if it will work you will need to fill the spreader once you get to the site. Driving around with the wet stuff will pack it so tight it will never spread. JMO

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

My Western Pro Flow 2 will spread sand/salt. I agree with filling the salter once you are on site.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

My Western 1000 will spread sand/salt too. But not the wet heavy stuff the city uses. The original poster wanted to spread what the city uses.