1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best suspension mods for plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Four Seasons, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Four Seasons

Four Seasons Senior Member

I plan to get the cognito leveling kit for my 07 Silverado 2500 when I get a plow so the plow frame isnt so close to the ground. But Im wondering what else I should do. My uncle has the same truck as me and his front end sinks about 4 inches when he lifts the plow so I was wondering if I should get some stiffer shocks or some other type of modification to help the truck. What are my options and what do you recommend. Thanks-Dave

2. madmaxxxx

madmaxxxx Member

I have the same truck and put a 9'2" boss on it. I have cranked the torsion bars and added timbrens and it still isnt the greatest. The vee is about 3 inches from touching when vee'd. I dont like it. I like my GMC, but hate how the plow hangs on it. I think it is almost too much plow for the front end of my truck. The truck can push it, just the front end isnt the greatest for a plow.

3. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

The best upgrade is a ford :drinkup:

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

As long as you have a dental plan. On a serious note, the Cognito leveling kit isn't going to help much. I have had that kit and the 4-6" kit, Cognito makes great stuff but you don't want to plow with your t-bars cranked all the way anyway. The levelling kit only helps your ride when your bars are cranked. If your doing it to fit your summer tires on, that's fine but don't leave it fully cranked all winter. Put on the Cognito idler and pitman arm braces, they seem to work really well. I actually have that kit and braces on a new GMC but I don't plow with that truck yet.

5. madmaxxxx

madmaxxxx Member

I have owned GM trucks for over 20 years and I have that for my personal preference. I will say that Ford has a tougher front suspension which lends favorably to carrying a snow plow around. But I still own a GM.

6. Four Seasons

the point of the leveling kit is so you dont have to crank the T-bars.

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

OK since I've installed them, you show me. Do you understand how the suspension works. You still have to crank the same amount unless you change your keys and even if you change your keys your front end is still cranked the same, the t-bar adjusting bolt just isn't in as far. Your CV angles are the same when cranked with or without the leveling kit. All the leveling kit does is make your truck ride better because the bump stops are moved. If you buy the kit, you don't need the keys, your stock keys are fine. You don't have to take my word for it but I installed all that crap myself on a couple trucks, so I do know a little bit. Here's the truck, I'm looking for the pics of the install.
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=54996

8. Four Seasons

No, I dont have a clue about this stuff and apparently everything I learned on diesel talk was wrong or someone was just trying to sell me stuff. Can you tell me if there is a way to raise the front of my truck without having any negative effect?

9. goose06

goose06 Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

I have an '06 extended cab duramax. I have my t-bars up 2" w/ the Cognito leveling kit. I run an 8' snoway w/ no problems but I also have timbrens up front to help with the weight. It might drop an inch + or - when up. Yes, the Cognito kit w/ shocks (bilsteins) definitely makes a difference in the way the truck rides w/ the bars turned up.

10. Four Seasons

does anyone know if there is a way to do this?

11. goose06

goose06 Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

If you turn up the tbars, the leveling kit will correct for bad ball joint angles. The will also allow for a proper alignment with the specs included in the kit. The only things that aren't corrected for is the CV angles. Numbers of people run them for many miles this way with no major adverse effects.

12. Four Seasons

ok, thanks

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry if we got off on the wrong foot. Like I said I'm very familiar with the Cognito stuff. The only thing that helps your balljoints is the pitman and idler braces, which comes with the kit. The new upper control arms do help with alignment when fully cranked but the main reason for them is to move the bump stops. When stock and fully cranked your truck actually rides on the bump stops and that's what makes it ride rough. Well that and your shocks being too short. If you want to try it for fun screw your T-bars up untill you like it and then check your bump stops. If it's riding on them, then you need the upper control arms. On a plow truck, you don't want bad CV angles, the flater the better. On my 02, I alway cranked my bars for the summer and let them down to plow for the winter. The front end on that truck is original, except ball joints, with a 9'2 Boss on it since new and 160 k. Timbrens will be your best friend and having a saggy front end to me is nothing to worry about. Alot of people have a misconception of what a leveling kit will do. Cognito is the best by far.

14. MrBigStuff

MrBigStuff Senior Member
    from Boston

Just curious, how much ballast does your uncle run with that set up? How far back is it located?

15. westwind

westwind Member

Listen to JD Dave, I agree with everything he has said.

16. Four Seasons

great info, thanks. Theres one part I dont get though, you said you crank your T-bars up for the summer and back to normal for the winter? That sounds backwards

17. Four Seasons

he has 8 60 pound sandbags at the tail but he has the Duramax in the front, I cant believe how full that engine bay is, you look at his and then at mine and it looks like my motor fell out the bottom without me noticing.

18. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I run mostly pre-94 Dodge trucks. Even on my 3/4 ton, a Blizzard 860HD that weighs 800 lbs. needs no mods. Nice thing about having trucks that were built like trucks instead of like cars.

19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I run 285's in the summer and the 245's in the winter. I have to almost fully crank for the 285's and since I think 245's are the best plowing tire and I want flat CV's I don't need a full crank for the plow. When your CV's are flat it's better for your whole front end wear wise.I still have a 98 GMC 2500 and it's had a 9'2 Boss on it since new and it's had very little front end work. Everyone will tell you your front end is crap but the better you treat, the more you'll realize it's one of the best. When the NBS trucks came out I was so happy the chassis remained the same. Put Timbrens, new shocks,the pitman and idler kit and tie rod sleeves and your off to the races. Good luck

20. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

can you replace the torsion bars with a higher weigh rates set? or you could go with some air bags.