1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Strategy for this NE storm

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by northernnewbie, Mar 2, 2007.

1. northernnewbie

northernnewbie Member

Its supposed to snow about 8" then turn to freezing rain and back to snow for another 2-4". I tried plowing with the storm last time and when the freezing rain hit the ground it left a horrible sheet of ice, I ended up sliding all over my yard and almost into my pond. What if I start plowing after the freezing rain stops while its crusted on top of all the other snow? Any thoughts on this?
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Plow before it turns to rain so you have 2-3 inches of snow when it rains. else you end up with way to much concrete to plow. The 2-3 inches of crusty snow will be easy to plow.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The combination of 8" of snow (which will be wet and heavy) topped with ice will make for some tough plowing. Your truck is going to struggle and be sliding on the ice (actually packed snow). Also be pushed sideways if you angle the plow. I try to do what theplowmeister said and plan it so there's a little snow under the crust, but very much just causes more problems.
  4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

where are you in the NE?
  5. northernnewbie

northernnewbie Member

Swanville Maine, close enough to the coast to get freezing rain and inland enough to get loads of snow. So far the storm hasn't been too bad, but the freezing rain is just starting to come down. :eek: