1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best storage

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by coopdogg725, Jun 12, 2008.

1. coopdogg725

coopdogg725 Junior Member

Where do you guys store your slat during the winter? I might have about 150 tons coming and I have read in other forums everyones opinion on this, but where do you guys keep your salt during the winter? This is your regular nothing special parking lot/driveway salt. Thxs for your input guys.

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Just pile it on pavement and put a really good tarp over it, with lots of skids to hold it down or put up mafia blocks and a Coverall on top. This is a bad pic of mine with no salt in it, it's 30 x30 and it holds roughly 150 ton of salt.

May 2008 050.jpg

3. coopdogg725

coopdogg725 Junior Member

Wow, nice set up, thxs bud

4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

hey ,...Great set up, one of the best iv seen

5. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

what do you expect from a professional like JD:D

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Well, obviously you don't know me very well. We got our first Coverall 5 years ago, like it so much, bought another one the next year for our other yard. The 30 years before that we used big tarps with skids to hold it all down, so I've paid my dues.:D

7. Patrick34

Patrick34 Senior Member

Roof

JD Dave, I like the roof/cover-all for the salt depot. I am going to purchase the same thing for my salt depot this fall. Two questions if you don't mind sharing any info: (1) did you install it yourself, and if yes, how big of a project to install. (2) are these roofs somewhat managable to take down and move to another location?

The reason I ask is I want to purchase a roof like yours, but I may be moving to another shop location in another year or so and I would have to move the salt depot and roof.

Thanks for any info.

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I have the more expensive permanent Cover-All, so they are harder to install. I did not do it myself but I helped a friend of mine install the cheaper version and it was actually quite easy. The cheaper version doesn't have webbed trusses and can probably be put up in about a day with 3 or 4 guys. This was one of the best investments I have ever made.

9. SpeedyGreenInc

SpeedyGreenInc Junior Member

How much did the setup you have cost you?

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The blocks were $125 delivered x 45= $5625 and the Coverall was pretty close to $6000, so around $12000 for everything plus cement. We have another one exacttly the same at our other yard and it sits on pavement. You can buy cheaper Coveralls but we wanted one that would last a long time. You also might be able to buy cheaper blocks then us, depends on your area.

11. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

The cover-all is a pretty sweet unit. cet has the same thing on concrete and I think its pretty slick.

BUT... if you're on a budget the tarp deal works out fine:waving: