1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Starter PLow...V or Straight blade?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by KINGAGB, Sep 13, 2015.

1. KINGAGB

KINGAGB Junior Member

Hey guys, looking to get best starter plow for my truck:
    '06 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L EXT CAB 8' Bed
    Rear Timbrens and ReadyLift Leveling Kit in the Front

Anybody here plow with a Snowdogg? I'm looking at the Snowdogg EX80 straight blade right now as the most affordable to get started.

2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

Pretty much depends on, how much money you want to spend, and who is the closest dealer. Welcome to the site. You will get some response on thus.

3. coke813

coke813 Member

for a starter plow, a straight blade works just fine. But it all depends how you plan to use it. I have had great success with a straight blade for driveways and wide open/empty parking lots.
    If you are going to try to push between cars and lots of obstructions, you may want to spring for the V, as the scoop function helps you clear snow in the tight areas.

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Just remember, a V plow can be a straight blade but a straight blade can never be a V plow. If you can afford the V plow get it.

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

No such thing as a starter plow.

next, your location?
    what are your yearly snow totals?
    will a str8 blade do or will you need a vee plow?

Get the Vee if there is any question.
    You will learn how to run it in no time.

but then, how did we ever get buy using str8 blades for so long...

6. kimber750

How did we get by before plowsite? Or internet? Or cable TV? These kids don't know how good they got it. :laughing:

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I know, we have come a long way scene making shadow images on the cave wall.

8. KINGAGB

KINGAGB Junior Member

Thanks guys for the words of wisdom, much appreciated! Here in South NJ we got hit pretty hard last year, so this year I want to get in the game. Despite the advantages available with the Vplow ($6K+), I'm leaning more towards the Str8 blade ($4400 installed) as it's what I can afford for now.

Planning to plow as a sub, doing a few parking lots or whatever work I can get (underneath someone who has plow insurance). Being a newbie, I don't think it's financially wise for me to open up a snowplow insurance policy yet (it's too expensive in NJ, lol).

9. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Look for a good used one for $4000

10. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

You'll be hard pressed to find someone that'll let you run on their insurance, if you do they're probably low-ballers and won't payout much. I would be very cautious and seek legal advise to see what you could be opening yourself up to.

11. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

If your plowing and you hit anything and cause damage, you are liable. Make sure your agent knows you are plowing commercialy.

12. kimber750

I would be more worried about hitting someone. Doubt the guy "providing" coverage will want any part of that lawsuit.

13. KINGAGB

KINGAGB Junior Member

@ RandallAve Thank you for the heads up. Can you recommend a reliable snowplow insurance company you've worked with in NJ?

14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

you should thank Buff....

and I agree with out your own commercial INS you are open loosing everything.
    as a sub-contractor, you are a contractor a stand alone business.
    You will also need to register your business,
    say, a LLC would be a good place to start.

so a subcontractor is a contractor who is hired by the general contractor. you are still a standalone business who is responsible for all you do.

good luck

15. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Get a V plow

16. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Get one that has a trip edge and that also articulates

17. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

If your budget is 4k you could.get a nice used vplow. I would take a used v over a new straight blade

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

8 foot isn't enough blade for that truck. you'll be running over unplowed snow with the rear wheels when ever you turn.

19. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

To me, snowplowing is like riding a motorcycle.

You wouldn't (or shouldn't) go out and buy the biggest, baddest, fastest Harley out there, unless you're completely confident that you can handle the beast from the start.

I think everything we do, would / should be done in stages, as to allow acclimation to the new task.

If you're green, then just pick up a nice straight blade, and have fun.Thumbs Up

OTOH, some people are naturally mechanically inclined, and can handle anything they do the first time. They're the lucky ones.

20. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

^ah what.
    Go get a loader and a pusher for the first time out of the gate if that is what ya need,
    Like a str8 plow vs a vee, the learning curve is steep and ether one can be mastered in hours.

so, if you get the snow fall the the extra $$ is justified get the vee.
    or if you just want it, get it, as you will learn how to operate it with out sending yourself to the hospital.

If you dont want or need a vee a str8plow will do the job.

ps if a vee plow is gong to stimey you for months or days maybe operating a simple piece of equipment is not for you.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015