1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best spreader on the Market?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by sinsere, Oct 11, 2006.

1. sinsere

sinsere Junior Member

I am in the market for a new salt spreader for my truck and cant decide which one
    to buy or what make to get. I have a 3/4 truck. Any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated Thanks
  2. plowin101

plowin101 Junior Member
    from ohio

Q. Are you think about a tailgate spreader, or a V-box spreader?
  3. sinsere

sinsere Junior Member

I'm not sure, but I am pushing toward the tailgate spreader so far.
  4. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Any of the fisher/western spreaders.
  5. CRR

CRR Junior Member

Same boat

I'm in the same boat. I'd like ot purchase a new tailgate spreader. One that goes on the trailer receiver.

I'm looking at snowex, meyer, western and would like to check buyers a sit the least expensive. Are there others to consider?

I'm one that believes you get what you pay for, but I'd still love to hear from guys that know.

Buyers is much less expensive...to me this doesn't necessarily means its cheaper. The I'm looking for from 6 to 10 cubic feet.

Thanks for the knowledge guys.
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Snoway makes a very competitively priced hitch mount salter.
    The Buyer's quality is like the price, cheap, you get what you pay for.
  7. sinsere

sinsere Junior Member

Would you reccomemend going with the swing away spreader for the taligate?
  8. plowin101

plowin101 Junior Member
    from ohio

Check out Magnum salt spreaders, i've talked to a lot of guys that have them and they have very few problems. As for the swing mount, if you have to load and unload snow blowers it would be a good idea, but i have always prefered the hitch mount.

9. MD Power Plow

MD Power Plow Senior Member

10. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Air-Flo made a great tailgate salter, have two of them at the momment, but hey stop production on them, as with many other things, I think they got into larger manufactoring. I haven't checked into if you can still get them or not, it might be worth it

But they are a strong, two stage spreader, and I have yet to have trouble with either one, Even the one that was hit by a car.

The key to a tailgate salter if you are not using bagged dry salt. is it has to be two stage or else it will plug up, i am told. We use bulk salt that is sometimes dry sometimes a little wet from being out in the back of the truck while flurries come down, and This salter throws it all the same. Basically I really like these salters. So for whats it's worth I say look into them.
  11. Bob Church

Bob Church Member

You could by the cheapest spreader on the planet and upgrade it with an Omega controller, Rhino harness system and Sure-Flow vibrator from Karrier Company and your spreader will run and flow salt like you paid top dollar for it. Karrier Company makes performance parts for salt spreaders that come with a 2 year warranty. So, please don't spend top dollar for a spreader. Just get an inexpensive one and upgrade it. You'll love the way we make your spreader work. www.karrierco.com

Bob Church
    Karrier Company