1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

best speed

Discussion in 'Pro-Tech Sno Pushers' started by 7879fordplower, Feb 5, 2009.

1. 7879fordplower

7879fordplower Member

I'm new to using a snow pusher but have been plowing with trucks for 7 years now. My neighbor just bought a Case 970 Ag tractor last fall with a 10 foot pusher on it and I was wondering if it is better to get some speed going with it or if his slow and steady approach is better. The first time I used it the box would fill up and then the tractor tires would spin out half to 3/4 of the way down the lot leaving a big pile you would have to bust though.:cry: Thanks for all your input.
  2. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

you want to take it easy on the machine more so than anything else. is it a manual or hydrostatic?
  3. nhpatriot

nhpatriot Senior Member

Sometimes breaking a hole through the lot and then taking smaller bites of the edge in heavy wet stuff is the only way, chains help a ton too. I definitely wouldn't just crank on the machine.
  4. redman6565

guess it doesn't really matter, if the machine spins when you have a full box either (1) the machine doesn't have enough coutner weight or (2) the machine is too small for your application in which either you get a smaller pusher or take less at a time
  5. 7879fordplower

7879fordplower Member

The tractor is a manual and the the rear tires are loaded and it carries a ten foot back blade on the three point so I thought it had plenty of weight but maybe not. We did add chains about two weeks ago now but haven't had an measurable amount of snow to try them out yet. The snow I was pushing in wasn't wet compared to some of the snow we had this year but it could just be the learning curve.
  6. redman6565

well, if it's a rear blade then you want a lot of front loaded weight. personally i designed my tractor to push the snow rather than pull, and so far so good.
  7. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

I think he was saying that the tractor also has has a back blade on the 3 point as well as the pusher up front. Thats how I read it.
  8. 7879fordplower

7879fordplower Member

That is correct. Here are some pictures to clarify.