1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Soleniod. Recomendations?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Kennedy81, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

So my solenoid under the hood went out that sends power to the E60. Any recommendations on what is the best to use? Meyer dealer ofcoarse wants more than its worth. A buddy of mine replaced his with a starter solenoid from a 70's ford. I was just wonder what others experiances were with using heavy duty solenoids from other apps.
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Meyers part was more expensive then the Auto parts store?:dizzy:
  3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I use a solenoid for a 95 F150 V8 and it works fine. It only runs like 8 bucks from the autoparts store. Dont buy the solenoid from the plow dealer, not to dis them, but they do mark them up more than they are worth, imo
  4. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Go down to napa and tell them you need a solenoid for your plow and it will be like 12 bucks.
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure what your asking..

You want the best..or the cheapest?

Cheapest: Any generic plow solenoid will do the job.

Best: Trombetta brand solenoid.
  6. theplowguy69

theplowguy69 Junior Member

Whatever you get, make sure it is heavy duty, otherwise you may be left stranded with your plow down.
  7. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

You get what you pay for payup Some HD starter solenoids will be better than a cheapy after market plow solenoid.
  8. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

I ended up getting a Marine Grade Solenoid rated for constant duty and high amp draw from Carquest. Turns out the guy at Carquest plows too, He's used this same solenoid on his truck for the past 10 years without any issues.
  9. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

What is the carquest part number??????
  10. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

C'mon we're waiting for the number!!!!!!
  11. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

are all solenoids the same as far as what they do? I would like to grab a spare for my Curtis. :help:
  12. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Pretty much. Some have different mounting, terminals, and most importantly there rating.
  13. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

Sorry, I was busy all weekend and didn't get a chance to check, I'll try and get it posted tommorow