1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best snowblower to buy

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jay317, Sep 1, 2010.

1. jay317

jay317 Junior Member
    from indiana

Whats the best snowblower i can buy with $1000-$1500 range i will be doing about 30 accounts when the snow comes any input would be appreciated

2. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Ariens.....

3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

x2

The "best" blower you can buy is a Honda but you'd need to spend more than $1500 to get one of those.

4. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

And i mean a true power equipment store ariens,,,,,not a HD special,,,,and yes theres always a difference.

5. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Saw some research, can't remember where...the HD Ariens is he exact same item as the LHS Ariens of the same model number...same motor, same part numbers, same warranty. HD does not always have the best price and it pays to shop the stores in your area...and of course service counts for somehting too...you're not going to get much useful in-store service at HD if you have a problem.

Some other brands I guess HD does get their own crappy line of products...John Deere IIRC is one of them, but Ariens doesn't seem to make HD specials.

As for the best snowblower...we need to know more about what you're doing with it. Are you doing all the work with a blower or do you plow and you need a sidewalk machine...factors like weight are a big deal if you have to get it in and out of your truck 30 times a day...lots of guys seem to favor the single stage Toro snowblowers for supplimental clearing machines...reliable, light and powerful...but I wouldn't want to recommend one for a dirt or graqvel driveway or to use for all your accounts if you're not just doing a sidewalk here and there.

6. leon

leon Senior Member

snowblower purchase saga

snow blowers etc.

It may be worth your while to investigate the BCS 2 wheel tractor model 712 with a 5.5 horsepower Honda which is $1,750 and the 28 inch snow blower is $950 which is 50 dollars more than the 24 inch 2 stage blower attachment you will be able to use it for other tasks like mowing and sweeping too with other attachments.

The BCS is gear driven with no intermediate belts the BCS/Berta blowers have a ripper cross auger to remove packed snow easily( the Berta BCS blowers were designed for use in the swiss alpine snow country in Europe.

You will have issues of not being able to buy parts for the BCS as they have a wide dealer network too.

The snow blowers have very heavy steel construction and shear pins for the auger and impeller.

The prices are from the www.earthtools.com web page

The smallest new 2009-10 Yamaha is almost $6,000.00 canadian loonies and they have no plans to import them here any time soon, but they are sold out again in Canada.

7. jay albers

jay albers Member
    from pa

i bought a toro last year for about 20 accounts and it worked well. there was also a big storm we had and my phone rang off the hook, it went throw 20" no problem. Made my money back in that one storm.

Do yourself a favor grab a little trailer if you can. taking it up and down the truck sucks

8. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

My John Deere 1128 keeps up with Camden and his Ariens. I'm not saying I do, but the machine does. In reality, they're probably the same machine with different paint! I think you're top choices in that price range are Ariens, Simplicity, and John Deere. MIght want to pick up a single stage too for when the snow gets wicked wet/heavy.

9. EastCoast

EastCoast Junior Member

Single stage when snow gets wicked and heavy?

10. leon

leon Senior Member

snow blower

Lots of fluid film and cooking spray as well as WD-40 works wonders for a single or two stage unit.

11. cmturner

cmturner Junior Member

For you guys doing blowers only with the 20 or so accounts how do you handle your customers during the storm? Like say you have a 3" trigger and the weatherman is calling for a 12" snow do you go out and start blowing once the first 3 is down or do you wait until its almost over?

12. Belleaire Care

Belleaire Care Member

snow blower question.....

Hey guys!

I just do commercial lots... small to mid size. However, they do have big sidewalks and a good snow blower is needed. Sold my old one earlier this year.

Looking at a Craftsman from Sears. They've got a 27" with 291 cc motor (about 11.6 hp) for a grand this week and a 30" 342 cc (13.6 hp) for $1300.00 - (Briggs and Stratton motor).

13. leon

leon Senior Member

Snow blowers in Canada

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------The best walk behinds are totally wallet dependent, please understand I am not trying to give you a wise a&* answer.

Candidly if per unit cost is a factor then the new 2011 Yamahas which are on the show room floors in the maritimes now are the best snow blowers with track drive in 2 models 28-32 inch.
    and the most expensive units for the consumer or small contractor and cost almost $6000.00
    canadian for the larger Yamaha snow blower.

The issue is more of utility when you work year round and ideally a BCS or Grillo 2 wheel tractor with the Berta/BCS snow blower wil handle the heavy wet stuff just as easily as the Yamahas as they both are all gear drive.

The 2 Yamaha snow blowers are strictly for snow where the BCS and Grillo 2 wheel tractors will work the year round with other attachments.

The 2 BCS/Berta snow blowers will mount on almost every BCS tractor except the largest model and they will also fit on the Grillo tractors and the larger of the two BCS/Berta blower will fit on all the Grillo 2 wheel tractors.

Your budget is the what is going to affect your purchase choice in any case ,where the 2 wheel tractors can be used the year round and the dedicated snow blowers cannot be used the year round except for snow blower racing:mechanic:

14. Belleaire Care

Belleaire Care Member

Yamaha snow blowers

Hi Leon,

Just checked out a couple of sites showing the Yamaha snow blowers. I had never seen Yamaha snow blowers before. They look like really decent machines !!

Not available in the States but I'm gonna check out availability here in Ontario...

Thanks for the info on this.

Mike

15. bechbru2

bechbru2 Junior Member
    from pa

we use a 28" frontier by john deere works really good for us.

16. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

toro sno commander

17. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping Senior Member

get a big simplicity signature series for the heavy stuff or a toro single stage for light stuff

18. GARRETTWOOD

GARRETTWOOD Junior Member

Snapper 2/cycle 22" for small sidewalks works real good.

19. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

Hey Jay, which toro did you get that worked good for your 20 accounts?

I'm picking up a new toro power clean 210 tomorrow. I got a new toro power max 1028 at the end of last season and that is pretty cool. I like the triggers you pull for turning its like a hydro lol....

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  20. Ben's Landscape

Ben's Landscape Junior Member

I just bought a Ariens 8 hp 24 in cut and I honestly like the machine a lot. last storm we had about 12-15 in snow (but drifts) and it cut through snow no problem! I would recomend this machine to anyone it didnt bog down and plowed through the snow in high gear. It is perfect for drives and walks are done in one pass. Good luck buying a snow blower.