1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best snowblower for a truck

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Mamacast, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Mamacast

Mamacast Junior Member

Our HOA management company is going to start maintaining a small development's side roads (1 mile of roads) and our home owners have requested we use a blower due to driveway cut outs and previous experience with it being plowed. Can anyone weigh in on the best blower to attach to a Duramax pickup? Width and Hp would be appreciated, thanks all.

2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I can't imagine doing a mile of roads with a blower. Even if could set one up with the truck, it's probably going to be real expensive. Plus - if the owners are complaining about plows, they're not going to be happy with snow blowing into their yards and driveways.

Just tell them that if they want you to do the work that you're going to be using your plow.

3. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

Honestly for the price of the blower I would look for a used 9n or something with a 3 point blower for that.

4. Mamacast

Mamacast Junior Member

Sorry, what is a 9n or a 3 point blower? I think I am in the new to the industry forum so I hope you don't mind educating me :)

5. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

Oh sorry. It's a 60s ford small tractor. Can be found for 2 or 3k running and working good. Get a good used 3 point snowblower for the back for 1500 and call it good.
    A blower setup for the duramax is so damn expensive it's insane.

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Where do you think your gunna get a pickup mounted blower from?

And when was the last time you SAW a blower on a p-up......In front that is

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

»»»»♥««««™

8. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

There is a company that makes them, at I saw it on the internet. It was gas engine driven. Insanely expensive, and slow moving. If it snows, you get snow in the end of the drive way. Do they have to clean their own driveway?

9. Mamacast

Mamacast Junior Member

Wow, under new to the industry I get this reply? Youtube has a number of videos, was looking for replies from someone with experience:confused:

10. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Snowblowers on trucks are hard to find.

Mostly in h.d. markets. And since your local isn't listed then I'm guessing there not there.

New to the industry, so you want your hand held?
    How much research have YOU actually done?

11. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

Search SnoVac, starts off at $12500.00 The homeowners association fees better be pretty high. Most complexes like that here the contractor also does the drives anyway.

12. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

13. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Funny you say that.

We did a very high end HOA with a tractor blower and other than 1 guy that was pissed because his contractor didn't show and we did, the entire association loved the blower. No piles, no landscape damage, didn't lose any width on their roadway.

OP, go with a tractor mounted blower. An inverted blower. There is no way you will ever get done with a 9N going backwards over a mile. Figure at minimum 3 passes, probably 5. So you're going to be blowing backwards for 5 miles.

A little more info would be helpful.

15. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Mounted to a real truck, not a "Bow Tie"

That's pretty cool but has to be hell on the frontend.
    Mounted to a real truck, not a "Bow Tie"

As much as it pains me I have to agree...... at a minimum a skid with a blower.

Having little to no info to work from other than what was said I have a hard time with the idea of using a blower for a road. If it was in a mountainous area or an area that's heavily timbered I could see the need.
    Either scenario I'd clear the road with a plow and blow the windrows, especially for lessor accumulations.

16. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

He only has a couple of miles to do.
    So what if it takes 2-3hrs.

For most of us it's to inefficient.
    Are there blowers that will go on his truck, YES.

Is anyone "helping" him, it doesn't look like it.

Will he go a different route?
    Well see.

all it takes is a lot of $$$$

jmo
    Id go back to plowing it,
    and then go back and open up the ends of the drives.

17. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I've got a 45hp tractor with a 3 pt blower; pain in azz (and back) to use for any period of time (no cab). Got a tracked skidsteer with a hydraulic blower; much nicer and easier to use. It could do a mile of roads, but it would be easier and quicker with a plow and the just use the blower for push backs.

18. Mark Oomkes

There really isn't any comparison between a hydro blower vs. a PTO driven blower.

19. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Sure there is - the hydro is substantially better (in my opinion). No shear bolts breaking.....

20. Mark Oomkes

LOL, you've got to be kidding me.