1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best snowblower for $500-900

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by oldschoo, Sep 7, 2007.

1. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

What would u guys say is the best bet for something in the $500-900 price range on a first purchase of a snow blower? Should I stick with single stage for Indiana if I'm mainly doing small drives or should I go with a 2 stage? I'm planning on doing anywhere from 6-12 hrs/day each snow day that requires removal. I'm hoping for 8-10 good snow days this year. And is the dual stage more durable? Most of the homes will probably be 2 car width and about 3 car length ( or maybe 50ft long). I'm looking at Honda, Ariens, Toro, and yes, even Craftsman. And are these things hard to get repaired or can I do basic repairs at home if something wears or needs fixin'?

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

If you have a dealer for them, the Honda will be incredible, but you will pay for the quality of the machine. Ariens have a great track record as well (i have one) and if you have a dealer for them to be paired with, you will like it. Same here though, plan to pay for the quality. I can't really say much about craftsman except that i think they are uncomfortable to use.

There is no way you'll get a new honda in your price range in a dual stage style, an ariens, maybe for the 5.5 horse, 24" small framed model. If you can up your price range to about $1200, you can get a 26" ariens w/ the 8.5hp briggs winter motor on it. That'll move some snow.

3. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

IRS sucks!

These obviously allow u to work much longer than if u were shuveling right? I could put in a good 5-6 hours a day shuveling before my back and body start wearing thin, and that's moving at a near max pace. Could I expect to double my endurance with a machine such as one of these? I don't think I'm going to be able to go above $900, maybe a bit less, but I'm stretching it. The IRS just wiped my accounts empty :cry: It's not from neglecting to pay taxes but from a deal involving my ex and because an address wasn't listed correctly. So I loose $3,000!? I don't trust them anymore. Anyway, that's another story. I've never had that happen before and I'm still getting over it. But I need to find something reliable that isn't tough to repair between $500-900. I appreciate any help!

4. rayf268

rayf268 Senior Member

that should be easy enough if you don't mind used equip. check estate auctions. My dad got a larger tracked craftsman 2 stage for $500. but if your not that handy you might want to have someone check them out with you. you never know you might find a newer one someone can't get to run then throw in a spark plug and a new machine for dirt

5. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

The problem with two stage machines is their speed. Their ability to do a good clean tight to the ground job, and their weight. How are you going to move this thing around?

Put it on and off a pickup 20 times a night with some dangerous ramp system?

Not me.

Best bang for your buck is the Toro CCR line. I have it forget the number.

Without the hand crank for the chute. The cheap one. Theres two models and they are the same except for the hand crank which is slow and a waste of cash.

Best snowblower ever made and you can lift it in and out of the truck.

6. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

I have a Craftsman 8hp, 27" cut blower and it has never let me down. I have had it for 4 seasons now. I paid $650 for it, and I just saw the new 9hp machines going for $750.

7. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

Hey, I was thinking about getting something there ( sears ). Can u tell me how long it takes for your avg. drive; say 2 car wide x 50ft and a 4-6in snowfall? Also, u've had it for 4 seasons right? Well how many customers have u done in those 4 years? Thanks for the info Blue Ram!