1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Snow Tires?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MRHORSEPOWER1, Oct 3, 2009.

Hi everyone! I was curious which is the best snow tires for snow removal.....Bridgestone Blizzak W965 with UNI-T (10 ply) or Cooper Discoverer M+S ? The size will be LT265 75 16 E. I am pretty much a Firestone/Bridgestone guy but just want to know if anybody has ever used them and how well they do in snow.
  2. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

we run both blizzaks on a f-150 and cooper M&S studded on my explorer. both are amazing snow tires and i love them both. the blizzaks have awsome traction in all conditions. the coopers with the studds are just as good i'd say..very close to the blizzaks but with the studds they take the cake on ice. without studds i'd say give it to the blizzaks though. goodluck on the search both are great tires.
  3. azandy

azandy Member

Last year I put these general grabbers on the truck I plow with. I was impressed. Can't say I've ever had traction like that before.
  4. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I use the coopers M+S and love them. Can plow up hill, safely drive faster among other benefits. I have never heard anyone complain about them.

I heard rumors of the blizzaks being not so good on certain vehicles but I have never owned them.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I ran MasterCraft MSRs last winter and loved them. They are VERY similar to the Coopers, but MUCH cheaper.

One more and your there, Terrapro!
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

General Grabber AT2s? Worst tires I ever owned.
  7. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I just purchased a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta's (nice name :dizzy:) for the truck I drive. My buddy sells these tires at his repair shop, and swears I'm gonna love them... we'll see.
    Otherwise, all of my other trucks have Cooper M & S... Love 'em.
  8. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

"I would to thank the academy and to all of you loving fans out there I couldn't have got this far with out you!"

9. silvercity

silvercity Senior Member

The worst tire ever....................We tried these on one of our new trucks and they lasted about 10k miles and made the truck ride and handle like a canoe on ice.
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

So it's not just me. I wanted BFG ATs. The shop was all, these are almost the same, fifty bucks cheaper each. And they were studdable. First time I tried to push in 2wd I knew I made a mistake.
  11. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

ive read a ton of reviews on tires, and made sure i was looking at 3/4ton + trucks, and ive found that the Kumho KL71's had great reviews on snow and ice. im getting a set for the chevy and Ford for this season.
  12. pkenn

pkenn Senior Member

really, people raved about the grabber at2 last year?................
  13. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm looking for all around tires ... Can't afford two different tires for summer & winter ,maybe later... How are the Cooper Discoverers ATR's ???? 50,000 mi. warranty... Need tires badly trying to find some thing good for the money until better times !!! Any other suggestions ??? Thanks ! ! ! !
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  14. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Rich, my truck had ATRs on it when I bought it. They have a less aggressive tread which is better in the snow than a mud tire. They are a good all around tire. Do you go offroad at all, or just stay on the roads? If you're primarily on road/plowing, look for something like the ATRs. Check out the Mastercraft line. Very similar to Coopers, less expensive.
  16. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

BFG AT's have always been my fist choice but i also have a set of Goodyear Silent Armors on my Chevy HD and was pretty happy with them last winter. The Goodyears where a little pricy though so unless their price's where to come down I will stay with my BFG's
  17. hairygary

hairygary Senior Member

Dean Wintercat tires. They are studabble, though they were so good without studs I didnt have the studs put in. I had BFG a/t and these are better. Dean is made Cooper tire.

Buy Cooper or Dean and quit buying all that overseas crap. Buy American.ussmileyflag
  18. coopers rock

We ran BFGs for years and tried Coopers last year.
    Buying another set for this year. They are so good I dont know how I could try others.
    (but enough reviews on Psite and I may)

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Buying another set of what? Coopers? What tread?

FISHERBOY Senior Member

I use mudstar tires from Kost Tire great traction, i rarely use 4- wheel drive thats with the dump truck, its all in the foot control lol