1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Snow Tires ?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by BeastMaster, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Short notice for this thread, but I am going to be sitting at the tire shop when they open at 8A on 12/20/10.

What are the best snow grips ? I currently have plain radial Bridgstone Dueler APT III type "summer street tires" w/ 1/2 the thread left-size LT 245/75R16.

There seems to be a lot of "space" left in the fender wells. Could I go up a size also, for a slightly taller tire ? (don't wanna go to where I need a lift kit...truck sits high enough bone stock)

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Round tubeless pneumatic is the way to go.

3. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

+1.

You can fit 285/75/16D/E's on your truck, however unless you've got steep 3.90/4.10 gears, I wouldn't think of going larger than 265/75/16 and remember, when you change the ride height, you'll need to adjust the mounting angle on the plow.

I've had great luck with Cooper Discovery ATR's.

4. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I second 2cor while your sitting and waiting do a search and read up on ALL THE TIRE THREADS.

5. Never thought about plow angle. How much diff. in height can there be from a 245 to a 285 ? The 245s on it rt. now are 29.5" tall wore down.

There's another plow truck here, same model, same color, everything as mine. He's running 285s. He commented on how high my plow sits on the truck. Maybe b/c my tires are smaller than his.
    Says he gets 11mpg around town and 14 on the highway.

I have a BRAND NEW chrysler re-man360 cu. in. and best I can get on the Interstate at 65 mph is 10.88 mpg.

How would I know the gear ratio ? I remember seeing a tag on the rear diff. cover on this truck.

6. Searching threads turns up nearly nothing to little on tires. I've never had much luck w/ the "help" functions on anything. Seems my ?s are always the odd ball ones no one thinks to ask.

7. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

There's the diff tag, or you can guess by how many RPMs you're turning with the OD on converter locked @ 60mph.

8. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

30.5" vs. 32.8" for your tire size comparison btw.

BTW 10-11mpg on a V8 gasser Ram is pretty average.

9. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

OK so what tires and what size did you get?

10. schockservices

schockservices Junior Member
    from ND

I run 285 75 16 dueler at revo on my 01 dodge and the revo 2 285 75 17 on my 03 2500 bothe are great for traction i think had to wait too long for bfg at's so went with the revo 2 so far so good.

11. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

I just put a new set of 315-75-16 bfg at ta ko's on mine. the last set i bought (same truck) lasted over 3 seasons and they have superb traction

12. Today, (12/20) I got a set of Master Courser 265/75/R16. $180 ea. on the rim, tax, title, license, out the door.
    Supposed to be 10 plys. They look like they'd do well in snow anyway. I did actually search this site and that type/brand came up a few times in various conversations, so I think I prolly made a good choice.