1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best snow tires for 3/4 ton Rams

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dannyc33, Dec 20, 2014.

1. dannyc33

dannyc33 Member

Switching over this year from the all season tires to snow tires on dedicated rims as the all terrains tend not to do so well once they are half worn, but still have plenty of summer weather miles left in them.

Tire dealer has plenty of options, but what have you guys found to be best for 265/70R17 and 245/75R16 sizes?

I plow with nearly 1000 lb Blizzard plows and carry about 1200lbs in the bed

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Choose from any of the below

Dunlap Dueler AT revoII
    Firestone WinterForce
    Nokians (choose one)
    Bridgestone Blizzaks

3. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

bfgoodrich ta ko's
    or
    continentals mpt $

F554promo_11.jpg

4. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

Just pick up bfg's ebay 700 free shipping lt265 / 75r16 no raised whites they also had a 70 dollar rebate I'll post the link

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  5. rjigto4oje

6. rjigto4oje

Not sure if the rebate is still available thst is an awesome price discount tire told 900 i bought two sets saved around 700

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You couldn't get me to plow with those tires that are on that truck.
    for mudd'en sure but not for snow.

I have run the BFg's, they do work well but they are way over priced for what they are, they do wear out fester that other brands when loaded down and plowing.

I like the bridgestone revo & they clean out much better that the bfg's. the revos have more siping.

8. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

There are literally 1,000+ threads on this site about tires. Do a search and enjoy.

9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

and there are a thousand more about.
    can you give me a price on this lot or these drives?
    will this plow fit?.
    what plow?
    what truck?

do you pretreat.?
    what % of salt do i need in my brine, etc etc.

new tread patterns, siping do change from year to year.
    my new set of revos dont look exactly like my old set

10. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Firestone WinterForce
    2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins / I use 285/75/16
    They Rock - I put the 1/2 bald tires on for the summer.

11. phantom451

phantom451 Junior Member

nitto terra grappler g2 285/75/18

12. Sawboy

44" Mickeys are the best

13. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

I like Cooper ST MAXX

14. dannyc33

dannyc33 Member

you are correct sir
    I searched and didn't really find what I was looking for. That's why I posted in the Dodge section looking for a more specific answer to my situation. Tires change and new ones come out all the time and people also gains more experience with the tires they use over time too.

I guess I should have mentioned I am looking for as much grip as possible while still having good wear. If they wear out fast they aren't of much use to me. My all terrains last me a good 5-6 years, but after about 3-4 the tread for plowing is noticeably lacking. We don't get much snow down here so I would like to get 5-6 years out of snow tires that would really only be on for 3.5 months and stored inside to prevent dry rot. With a heavier plow than most the wear is something to consider.

15. Sawboy

44" Mickeys filled with beet juice. But only because it's a dodge.

16. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

That's what I do, having 2 sets of tires / rims, and the winter tires go into the garage for the remaining 8 months out of the year. I've had my set for 4 years now, and they're about 1/2 way worn out. The real issue is that they begin to harden up, even though they're stored inside, and lose some of their grip. The new radial tires made today, vs bias from 30 years ago, are comprised of rubber that ages quickly no matter how they're stored. You will still have good tread on them, but they just don't stick as well. I run my tires about a month to two months ahead of the first snows to get them back into shape, and pliable again. it helps, but age is creeping up on them (just like me), and this is my last year for using them. Off to CL they go, and I'm buying a new set of bizzacks or whatever I feel is a good winter only tire I can find locally.

BTW, My tires are mud terrains, and they're really not very good in snow. Mud yes, snow=no....

Let us know what you eventually buy.

17. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

Well, I've got a 3/4 Ram and run Michelin LTX MS/2 year round primarily. That being said, I purchased a set of Blizzak W965 and swap them out just like you are intending to do. I keep them inside year round when not is use. The verdict from what I've experienced? As for grip, the W965 is better than the LTX MS/2 but not by a wide margin. The sidewall stiffness is better on the Michelin and the Blizzak will give you an odd feeling as you're driving but once you get used to it it's not an issue. They both have the weight capacity we need for these heavy plows and the W965 will wear out much quicker than the LTX MS/2. Also, the MS/2 will give you better mileage and traction than the AS tires can offer.

AS tires are just an all around tire that "can" do numerous things "ok" but never excels in any one particular condition compared to others. The MS/2 has tons of siping and works really well.

18. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

my previous post wasn't directed at you......

19. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Round ones and pneumatic.

20. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I like something with a bit more traction than a inner-tube.