1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

best snow removal snow hauler

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by tha_lildude, Aug 25, 2009.

1. tha_lildude

tha_lildude Member

im looking at buying a dump truck or something to haul BIG amounts of snow. the lot is the size of 3-5 home depots. it actually is a little strip mall, best buy, lowes, and target, and they are building some other stuff right now, and only half of the lot is taken up. I was wondering what is recommended for hauling the snow away. i do have a loader and all i need is something to load it in. what do you recommend?

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

A good used grain truck. A lot of them only have single rear axles but that's all you need. Just make sure you get one that dumps high enough to get the snow to slide out (some have a limited amount of lift).

3. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

I've seen a guy who uses tractors with plows hook up HUGE wagons to them for on site relocation. A genius IMO-probably the only credit I'll ever give the guy (but thats another story). And no it wasn't JDDave.

4. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

you live in Alaska and you dont know what to haul snow in ???????????????????

5. tha_lildude

tha_lildude Member

well this will be my first year actually doing something big. i know to haul snow in a side dump or dump truck. they do make 4500's, 5500's with dump body's that are decent size. but im looking for recommendations! what is a good size for the price. then i was thinking i could buy a side dumpr for a 4500, and put a plow on the 4500 at the same time. pull the trailer to the lot, unload it, plow, than load the trailer up and load the trailer with snow. they make good sized ones that a 4500 can pull.

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Obviously.

Roll off truck with 3-4 cans.

You'll keep one truck busy trading all night long.

7. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

can you hire a local trucking firm with tri-axles and dump trailers?

8. tha_lildude

tha_lildude Member

ok, we are talking a 95 acre land plot. of this 95 acres, probably 20 of it is taken up by buildings, 15-25 of it is taken up of curbs, trees, ect. this leaves 45 acres of parking space and sidewalk space ect. im gonna say its 35 acres just cause. ok 35 acres is 1,524,600 square feet. if it snows 3 inches, i have 14116 yard of snow. is this correct?

9. redman6565

3 inches is 8% of 36" (1 Yrd). so 1,524,600 SF x 8% (3" of Snow) = 121,968 Yards is what you are looking for...i think.

10. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Thats is correct.

700 truck loads @ 20 yards/truck.

11. Mark Oomkes

Yup, 1,524,600 multiplied by .25 then divide by 27.

12. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

:dizzy: This guy doesn't need dump trucks he needs cargo ships.

13. redman6565

come on guys, he can hire whats his face with his 75 snowpushers, all brand new.

14. redman6565

my math sucks by the way so ignore my post above...never claimed to be a math wiz...

15. redman6565

but in all seriousness, they're making you transport offsite all the time or only when you've occupied all allotted parking spaces?

16. Mark Oomkes

giggle, snort, chuckle :drinkup:

17. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

700 loads = almost 30 loads/hour for an entire day.

Or the guy that can load faster with a bucket. :D

18. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

He has a loader...ROTFLMAO.

19. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Hauling offsite wouldn't be realistic you would need a melter. As for your 4500 size truck you would be hauling snow for a month for. Good luck it doesn't sound like you know what you are getting yourself into.

20. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic