1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Snow Pusher?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bluerage94, Jul 27, 2012.

1. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

Just looking to see what everyone's opinion on snow pushers are...? We've been fairly happy with protech pushers(good bang for the buck) but may get either a Kage system or an Arctic sectional for our Cat 908...just been 50/50 on both...any thought would be appreciated...

2. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

check out the new boss

3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I love my boss

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

It may cost more up front, but the Arctic will save a lot more in salt, time, labour. It cleans better, it's easier to push, easier on the manchine and turn with

If your doing a lot of back dragging against building, the cage wins that one

5. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Seasonal sites... go with arctic

per push and/or per application.... stick with what you have

6. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

What Mick said. On all inclusive seasonal price the Artic will pay off, if you don't salt or they salt in house (our case with schools), the Artic costs you because it is often low bid and they cost roughly 3x the cost to run per hour over a basic rubber edge pusher.

7. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

How would you guys compare the Arctic to the Pro-Tech IST with the steel trip edge?

8. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I have both; an Artic 14' HD and a 12' Protec IST loader model. The Artic scrapes better espically if the parking lot is isn't level, the IST does a much better job than a rubber edge though and is a much more durable unit (can push into piles, stack with it, etc). When salting I can tell (even if I didn't know) which was plowed with what pusher (we run an Artic, an IST, the rest are rubber edged) Artics are cleanest, then IST, then rubber.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  9. PhilFromErie

The site I'm in the market for a new pusher for is a busy truck stop with a ton of traffic, always congested, always bad packed snow. I would say that the lot is pretty level, would you say that the durability of the Pro-tech IST outweighs the better scraping of the Arctic?

10. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I do a 5 + ac 24 hour truckstop... there is no way I would use anything but the arctic for that site... Ive literally scrapped 2" of hardpack without the use of salt... these arnt little yugo's packing the snow down... they're darn heavy trucks (btw they park EVERYWHERE when a storms coming in :realmad:) ....ENJOY!.....LOL

11. 1olddogtwo

I would consider those two plows to play indifferent playing fields all together.

here's a video for your enjoyment: http://www.sectionalplow.com/video.html

12. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Alot depends on who you have operating the machine and the site. If I was running the machine I wouldn't hesitate with either one.
    My experience with the Artic durabilty issues is we had a heavy wet snow the of the season we first bought it, we ended up breaking two blocks and bending both sideplate, we didn't hit anything it was just that much weight/presure and pushing into plies, the operator was new to using the Artic but not new
    to pushing snow with loader/pushers.
    My experience with the Artic is it is more of a snowplow than pusher, its not designed to hog large piles of snow, not to say it cant be done. While Artic says its drop & go, I've found with the RIGHT guy running it is an amazing plow, he has to know it's limits, and respect them, the guy running mine last two years hasn't broke anything but worn out cutting edges. My advise would be if you have long pusher, frequent heavy wet snow and don't run the machine yourself get the Protec. If you run the machine yourself, shorter pushes, etc., buy Artic.

13. 1olddogtwo

And yes I'm a fan the the Sectional just like most that copy it

14. PhilFromErie

I have been leaning towards the Pro-Tech we run rubber edge pushers now and guys are used to them. I will not be the one running the machine and I won't even be on the sight most of the time. I have seen videos of the protech and I think that the trade off might be worth it for it bieng bulletproof.

I may be wrong and I may regret it, I really don't know but that's just what's going through my head now.

15. Protech Inc.

Protech Inc. Senior Member

Great conversation. We love to see what everyone thinks about our products and always look forward to the feedback. Our rubber edges of course work best in wet, slushy snow because they act as a squeegee to clean the surface. The IST is great for hardpack and is different from other steel edge pushers in that there are very few moving parts (urethane spring on the trip instead of springs). Both are very easy to operate and "bulletproof". I don't want to crowd this forum with a sales pitch so if anyone has questions about our products we are always available and would love to speak with you. Thanks and happy hunting.

16. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I've been extremely happy with my Buyers snow pushers so far. I wanted to go with Protech but the ones I needed weren't available in my area at the time. I've been seriously considering a Kage for my tiny loader that does the detail work on the lots. That little machine could really benefit from the combo system.