1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Snow / Ice Tires

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by befnme, Jan 2, 2008.

?

BEST TIRES FOR SNOW / ICE

Poll closed Jan 7, 2008.
  1. MAXXIS BIGHORN

10.0%
  2. NITTO TERRA GRAPPLER

40.0%
  3. TrXus STS All Terrain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Pro Comp All Terrain

50.0%
  1. befnme

befnme Junior Member
    from nc.

I need a new set of tires and currently have pro-comp at does any1 run the maxxis bighorn? are they anygood? What would be the best set for me keeping in mind that I also will run these tires in the mowing season and I 40+ thousand miles last year.

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Where's the "None of the Above" option?

3. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

I Have Nittos and they are great,

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

When you ask something to do everything great you get mediocre at all things:)
    A great snow/ice tire wont wear well.

5. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

i have a set of maxxis bighorns they have there pros and cons like every tire.

pros

excelent mud/deep snow traction

cons

loud
    dont wear very well (i am guessing i will get 25,000 out of this set).
    they are horrible on glare ice (i went out ive fishing the other weekend and i got stuck in 6'' of snow because the tires were on glare ice i was pissed).

overall i doubt i will buy these tires again i just dont go offroad enough to justify the noise and bad treadwear and harsh ride. my next set will be either pro comp all terrians or bfg all terrains.

6. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

I vote for BFG AT's

7. BenW455

BenW455 Junior Member
    from WV

I second BFG AT cost a little more than some but worth it.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

BFG's or Cooper M&S

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I 5th the BFG's at ko

10. befnme

befnme Junior Member
    from nc.

Looks like it may be another set of procomp only this time i'll go with the mt. I found 'em here for only $98.00 per tire.

http://www.tires-easy.com/start.html

Pro Comp Mud Terrain 285/75 R16 8PR OWL

11. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

I 6th the BFG AT KO's:nod:

12. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Got 65k out of my last set of BFG Rugged Trails- Just put a new set on. Solid all around tires.

13. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

I run Nitto Terra Grapplers and love 'em but your not going to get 40K+ out of 'em. Smooth ride, quiet, and great traction. Only down side I see is tread life. If you have the $$$$$ BFG A/T KO's are the way to go. Great all around tire for summer/winter. JM .02.

14. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Nitto's. Bought my first set this winter. LOVE EM. Well I hate having to work at doing donuts when screwing off now but I guess thats what there supposed to prevent then.

15. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

WOW I thought you always went out of your way to disagree with me!:jester::dizzy::dizzy:(your favorite face)

16. jjtmarineb2

jjtmarineb2 Member

BFG's are really nice all around. They have good grip in all conditions, and will wear for a long time. BTW, those procomp mud terrains will plug up. They do not self clean very well. My $0.02

17. red2500

red2500 Junior Member

Does anybody have these?

I have run these for 4 years now. A friend gave them to me because he said they were "noisy", it's
    very slight and doesn't bother me. Treadwear is great but I only use them in the winter. And the past 2 winters have been very light on snow. But they still didn't wear.
    Here is the link.........http://www.tirefactory.net/Hakkapeliitta 10LT.htm

18. 2dogs2

2dogs2 Member

19. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Bridgestone Dueller REVO AT's, awesome tires, if you can handle buying them every 20k miles. If they have another $100 rebate on 4 when I need them again, i'll get em

20. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Not a personal attack but advise. If you're going to start a poll thread like this you should search what members here have recommended for tires. It's been posted over and over and some of the most popular tires were not even mentioned.