1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best small vehicle for residential

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Smitty58, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

If a guy wanted to get into residentials and maybe some small commercial properties ,what would be the best small truck setup? Is there a heavy duty small vehicle that is best or will anything work? I'd like to see Ford take a SD 250 and make it the size of a ranger. Is there a way to beef up a small truck or Jeep to make it as stout for plowing ,but smaller as say a F-250 SD?
  2. Bigblue250

Bigblue250 Member

As much as I like the F-250 with an 8' Fisher for the heavy stuff, I havent found anything better than my little CJ-5 with a 7 footer on it for tight driveways and such.
  3. jo2fst4u

jo2fst4u Member

4. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

i think pick ups with short beds are most versitile but jeeps can get in those hard to reach places
  5. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

Definitely a Jeep, the turn radius is unmatched. I would reccomend finding a used yj (91-95 6cyl) as opposed to a new tj. The coils on a tj dont like weight and the air bags you need for the coils or airshocks can be annoying. If you do go with a tj though, try to get one with a dana 44 and trac-lock in the rear.
  6. chevy guy37

chevy guy37 Member

I never had a jeep but they look like cool little plowing machines.
    I would have to say a jeep.
  7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

8. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

my choice

Jeep, Jeep Jeep.
  9. hillmin

hillmin Junior Member

I used my '85 CJ7 & 6.5 Meyer for seven years and wish I still had it. I plowed driveways and roads. Kept 3-5gal. buckets of sand in the back. Surprised a lot of plow guys up here in NH when I first moved here who thought I wouldn't get out of my driveway with it. Could get in and out of these tight driveways faster than I do with my pickup trucks.
  10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Side walk plower

I used a Bronco II for 5 years with a 2 meter plow on it.
    Small and short with a 6 foot blade.
    Guys I plowed with thanked god I showed up to plow. Rabbit warren condo complex's were no problem.
    I can get in and get out where they can't. Right now I see no vehicle that can do it all. None are small and short enough but have weight to do the all the jobs. You either do small or big. Jeeps from what I hear have front axle weakness, hit a curb it's done. Imports, get raped on parts and service. If I hit the Mega Millions tomorrow I think I set up a Hummer to do the job. Gun mounts are optional.
  11. jeepboy

jeepboy Member

I would go JEEP they are one tough vehicle! If i bought a yj i would get the posi-lock kit for the lockout on the front axle....i've seen too many vaccume hose problems w/that front end. Just like the older s-10's.
  12. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

International Scout 2 w/ Fisher is what I had for many years but unfortunately they are not manufactured anymore.:realmad:
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2003
  13. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

jeep wrangler or ford ranger
  14. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Heres my cj5 >which now has a 7' meyers.
  15. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

16. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

17. ttyR2

ttyR2 Junior Member

While a bit crazy, the hot ticket might be to rig a jeep up with a steerable rear axle as well, tied into the steering system. Could just about turn around in it's own length with a setup like that.
  18. parboy

parboy Junior Member
    from nh

hey hillmin where in nh are you?
  19. z_plow_master

z_plow_master Member

jeep is nice, but where can you put the salt and the shovel.
    ummm, i'd go for a ford ranger, i thought of a jeep before i got mine, but the ranger has been plowing for three years for me, and no problem (truck or plow)
    the ranger has a payload around 1400lbs
    the jeep has only 800 lbs
    plow is 500lbs
    driver 200 lbs
    so how many salt bags are you gonna have 2? that is the most you can do with a jeep
    but with the ranger you can go for 14 bags
    i am not trying to put the jeep down, don't understand me wrong, if you don't salt much, then go with the jeep, it is even better , cause it is shorter and has a smaller turning circle.but as for me, i do salting for small properties and gas stations with plowing , so i need as much salt as i can have. :)
  20. EPACF

EPACF Junior Member

84 Toyota for me

I have an 84 toyota with a 6.5 fisher- great setup!
    ***I have to say it is my DRIVEWAY RIG***
    larger plow is really needed to make time in parking lots, but the yota pushes much more that one would expect from looking at it.