1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Skid brand for snow removal

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by JimMarshall, Oct 20, 2015.

1. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

Hey all, wondering if there are any Skid loader brands out there that are better than another for snow removal in your experience? Looking into replacing one of our Deeres soon, Looking to add a push box and start using the new one for plowing.

2. JimMarshall

from NW PA

I just wanted to clarify this question. I know that this could turn into the same pissing match that Ford/Chevy/Dodge turns into or Western/Meyer/Boss/etc. I am more looking for opinions from people that have owned multiple brands about the subtle differences - brand X had better operator visibility, the heater in brand y seemed better, the door latch on brand Q froze every 4 hours, it was easier to wire lighting on this one, etc etc etc.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

There all gunna have there pros and con's. What can you live with or without.

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Heater, Wheels and pilot controls and 8,000lbs....what more is needed

5. dieselss

A cab, and a wiper

6. JimMarshall

from NW PA

New one will definitely have pilot controls. The levers and foot pedals get old.

Does anyone do snow with a track machine? The tracks would be beneficial to our summer operations but I can only imagine how boy they must be.

7. dieselss

299c cat. Only sucks on ice.

8. JimMarshall

from NW PA

It doesn't forcibly vibrate you kidneys out?

9. dieselss

No, had no issues when I ran it for awhile.

10. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

jcb has an awesome deal going on now... 70 months for 0%.... Test drove a lot of them and I really like the visibility of the JCB - cab has a ton more room in it as well....

11. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I saw that jcb deal that's nice 0% for 70 months I have to say visibility wise they are great I had a 175 on demo last year also getting in and out from the side was nice I had it during the warm months so heat was hard to tell but a/c was cold.I think if I was going to pick it would be between the jcb/Volvo, deere ,cat, and Gehl/mustang

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  12. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Dealer support is crucial....if you need parts or service in a pinch is your existing relationship with your Deere dealer going to shine over a new relationship with a different dealership? We run mostly CAT machines, have used the 277 track machine for snow in the past (worked great with a 10' daniels plow, but now it sits as a backup, tracks are too expensive to replace every couple years. The visibility and comfort of the newer machines is amazing, I never had a complaint in the past, but its really improved. We also plow with an older GEHL 4665? its getting old, but refuses to die, we use the snowwolf tires on there which are a must have.(or comparable)

13. JimMarshall

from NW PA

My Deere dealer dropped construction and went strictly Ag/Turf and picked up Gehl construction. I have other Deere dealers around, about equidistant to this one, as well as dealers for Cat, Bobcat, JCB, and others. Service isn't a huge factor as we try and do all that in house.

14. JimMarshall

from NW PA

I'm intrigued.....

15. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

you should try one they really are nice from an entry and visibility stand point

16. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I have owned bobcats and cats. I have ran new hollands, gehls, takeuchis, and cases.

Cat is the best snow machine that I have encountered thus far. The pilot controls are impossible to beat. Visibility has been better in other machines, but it is not the worst I have ran.

I was a bobcat guy for years, but jumped in a cat on a job site and the short throw of the pilot control on wrist only had me sold. Took a couple of hours to get a hang of from all the years of running case H pattern machines, but the fact that you can partake in a beverage or change the radio station while driving is a real asset. Good heat and ample power in the cats too.

As was mentioned earlier dealer support is what really matters. What good is a machine that you can't get parts or service for as you don't have a dealer in your area?

Just my $.02

17. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Caterpillar will also be offering foot controls now as well as pilot

18. Philbilly2

is that so guys who like shin splints can enjoy cats too? :confused:

19. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Bobcat has pilot controls too..

20. Philbilly2

Do you still have to move the entire throw of the arms for forward and reverse or have they made that a servo yet?