1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best size wheel/tire for winter-

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by bebop86, Feb 7, 2015.

1. bebop86

bebop86 Junior Member
    from nj

looking to get a set of winter tires/wheels for a 2012 wrangler sport- using a western HTS plow- what size wheels and tires work best- thanks
  2. bschurr

bschurr Member

Thats a pretty subjective question that depends greatly on how the Jeep will be used when not plowing. Best would be a dedicated winter tire (possibly even studded) with the same width and height of your "stock" tires...
  3. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I and my son bought BFG TA KO's for my TJ UL and his Colorado. Great in the snow. I stayed stock size. My son had to go 1" taller overall because they did not make a KO tire in his original size.

I like those tires enough to just buy a set for my wife's suburban. However they are replacing the TA KO with TA KO2's. KO's no longer available in the stock size and not making KO2's in that size yet. So I went from 265 70R 16 to a 265 75R 16, .9" inch taller, .2" narrower tread width then the original tire size.
  4. Deli_Guy

Deli_Guy Junior Member

I believe the amount of siping you have is what's important.
  5. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

Def the sipping. Have GY Duratracs best tire for plowing! Monster in snow, n wear ability good overall also
  6. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

another vote for goodyear duratracs. THE best tire in the snow i've ever run, bar none.
  7. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I'd say weight first.

8. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

85 series tire is better in snow or mud
  9. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

"85 series"? The closest thing I can come up to that even marginally meets into that, is a tire with a RATIO of 85, i.e. LT200/85R10

This is not a "series". It defines the sidewall height ratio with respect to tread width. This number alone has absolutely no meaning whatsoever about the tire's actual size, since it doesn't even describe the important sizes -- which are tread width and the overall diameter.

For example; if you change the size of the RIM, keep the same tread width and overall diameter, then you will end up with a different ratio, even with the important dimensions remaining constant.

The larger the RIM, the smaller the sidewall ratio will have to be to maintain the same treadwidth and overall dimension.

What makes a better winter tire has nothing to do with the sidewall ratio. It has to do with tread width. A narrower tread is generally viewed as better in winter due to its ability to dig down to something hard instead of floating on the top.

... 123 is the tread width, expressed in millimeters.
  10. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

So in the same line of tires which one is more narrow
    235X85x16 or 235x75x16 one is wider then the other

You can have a 265x85x16 they are a taller tire. Tallest tire I seen I was going buy for my skid but they would not fit was 315x85x16 they are 36'' tall but a narrow tire like ones I bought 235x85x16 33'' tall and about the same width
    Not all 85 series tires are the same width but in there line the 85 tire is the most narrow tire in that line
    Maybe I'm wrong but I was told first number is the height and 2nd number is the width 3rd number is the rim size on a radial truck tire

Bias tires is different they go like this 7.50x16 that is same size as a 235x85x16 or 900x16 is same size as 315x85x16
  11. jasonv

from kannada

Those are EXACTLY THE SAME width. The 85 is taller.

235 mm = 9.25 inch WIDTH

2x(9.25x0.85)+16=31.725 inch diameter
    2x(9.25x0.75)+16=29.875 inch diameter

They are also WIDER. 265 mm = 10.43 inch

If you think that a 315 is "about the same width" as a 235... then you really need to get in to see an eye doctor.

315 mm = 12.4 inches. These are FREAKING WIDE MONSTERS.
    235 mm = 9.25 inches. Only 3/4 of the width.

You were told VERY VERY WRONG.
    Like I said, the first number is the WIDTH in MILLIMETERS.
    The second number is the SIDEWALL RATIO (relative to width).
    The third number is the RIM in INCHES.

Those are the **RIM** sizes.
    For the 900x16, I trust you actually mean 9x16 (or 9.0x16, or 9.00x16).

7.5 inch is the width of the rim.
    235 mm is the width of the TIRE = 9.25 inch.

9.0 inch is the width of the rim
    315 mm is the width of the TIRE = 12.4 inch.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  12. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Oh boy, a battle of the wit's........ :popcorn:
  13. jasonv

from kannada

This isn't a battle. He just made an error.
  14. novawagonmaster

novawagonmaster Senior Member

Stock size on my TJ is 30x9.50-15.
    For plowing, I went with 16" wheels and 245/75R16 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 winter tires. They are 1" taller than stock, and same width. My Jeep is not lifted, and they fit perfect.
    I put 400 lbs in the back, air shocks on all 4 corners, and it has been fantastic.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  15. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

bushturr said it

what do you want to do?
    when I plow my tires are behind the plow and are on packed snow.
    what give snow tires traction is the number of edges that are in contact with the ground (according to Goodyear) so sipeing is important. I have found Blizzak tires to be great in snow. Because my tires are behind the plow I use wide tires (give me MORE edges than narrow tires).
  16. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

X3 I love them
  17. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

Stock 2004 Jeep Rubicon wheels 16 inch I believe, and Blizzacks all the way, they are the best. I put BFG mud terrain's on in summer.