1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Setting for Salt Dogg 1500 & 2000?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by millsaps118, Oct 22, 2010.

1. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

My SHPE2000 is on the way. My first V Box so wanted some advice on baffles, auger & spinner setting for untreated bulk salt. Occasionally will be spreading 70/30 sand/salt.

I was reading the manual online and it says the factory settings are for dry bagged rock salt. Will these setting work for bulk salt?
  2. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

I messed around with mine for a while and in the end I just ended up taking the baffles out. I worked the best for me. I think you will have to atleast open your baffels up a little and then its all up to you. As far as where to set auger and spinner I cant tell you what to do there but I can tell you where I had mine. I ran the auger all the way up and the spinner was adjusted up and down as needed for the app. With the auger all the way up I was moving at a nice fast pace. Thats all I can tell you about that. Make sure you carry a wrench with you so if salt freezes you can put a few turns on the auger.
  3. millsaps118

Thanks Mike, any info will give me a good baseline to start at and an idea of what to expect. I did read about people taking the baffles out, this seems like it may be the way to go.
  4. millsaps118

I know a lot of ppl here run these spreaders, no one else want to share info???????
  5. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

saalt dogg

what size wrench? and where is it that you turn them
  6. millsaps118

1"1/4 is what the manual says and it goes on the nut bolted on the auger shaft back by the chute.
  7. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

I run mine at the stock setting, but maybe will adjust wider to cut down on daming due to frozen chunks. I personally dont think the sand mix will work to well unless is it super dry. Other than that, I love mine to death!
  8. G&T LAWN

G&T LAWN Senior Member

I do ot have the baffles out of mine. I would have to be very dry. Run the auger at 6 and the spinner at ten. I only viberate when it get toward the bottum. I have had mine plug under wet conditions.
  9. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

Anybody else running with baffles out? Any problems with that? Seems like the stock settings are very small.
  10. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Just bought mine used didn't have baffles and it won't spread without them. Auger jams up before I can make it to the first lot.
  11. ohiogreenworks

ohiogreenworks Senior Member

Yep mine would not work without the baffles either. I guess too much weight sitting on the auger. I ended up adjusting them to 3/4 of the way open and it worked ok, then my auger motor went out, replaced under warranty, then I sold the truck :)
  12. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I have 2 of the 2 yarders..... I have both baffles open to about 2 inches.... But I am finding that the salt is unloading much faster from the rear of the box (rear of truck) than the front. I want to change that. I want it to unload from the front first so I keep weight on the rear, behind the wheels...... I run my auger at 3 and my spinner at 10 most of the time.
  13. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I've found with my 1500 spreading wet Magic salt,that with the baffles wide open seems to work best.
  14. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

I just got my 2000 and am waiting for a chance to use it. I run dry bulk salt. I will be using it at Walgreens and maveriks. As close as I can tell testing it so far I will be running auger at 3 and spinner about 8.
  15. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Senior Member
    from NW Ohio

I have a new SD 2000 and someone on here told me to run the front baffle wide open and the rear open 3" and it works GREAT !!! Went through 12,800 pounds so far !!!
  16. Showmestaterida

on the shpe 2000 what does it take to access to the auger bolt. Just want to know if anything happens. Is it just the cover for the gear motor and its right there or what? any thought?
  17. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

auger on 4 spinner on 8 for commercial spinner on 4 for resies
  18. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

I ran mine with out baffles have tried them with. If you guys read the manual it says the stock setting on the baffles is set for dry bagged salt so yes at least open them. At first use I was running auger at 5 and spinner at 5 and that spread to much in too small of an area now I am running auger at 4 and spinner at 8 seems alright
  19. Showmestaterida

any info on access to the auger nut?
  20. 06slvrctd

06slvrctd Member

Remove the spinner assembly from the hopper and the auger nut is up inside the opening the salt falls down.

You'll need an 1 1/4" wrench to turn the auger.