1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Season Ever

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JThompson, Feb 5, 2004.

1. JThompson

JThompson Member
    from NYC

For all the veterans of the snow business, what was your best season ever? Besides the amount of snow, what other factors contributed to the success of that season?

2. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

best season

That would be last season.
    It was a record breaker for snow, over 8' total. One of the things that made it better was I was able to buy a new truck. What made it best was the incentives plus low interest rates. I'm paying over 5 years, not because I have to but because I'm paying very little interest. Did I also mention that my brother is a Dodge salesman? So I was able to get the truck at cost.

3. JThompson

JThompson Member
    from NYC

Maybe it would also be helpful to let us know when you started plowing. Thanks.

4. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

this season has not been anything to talk about. Last year we had one of the best winters in awhile.

5. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

How long?

Have been removing snow for 2 family generations, using 5 generations of Dodges', for 30+ years.

6. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

Last season: 22 events for residential and no big storms to deal with. Also, it allowed a price increase this year without much complaint. This season is on it's way to coming close though.

7. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

5 years in the business, Last year was the best so far
    ...Chuck

8. crashz

crashz Senior Member

For both me and my father, it was 1996. We had (1) Mack tandem with 12 yd sander on a state route, (1) single axle Mack with 7 yd sander on a city route, our airport contract and a residential complex. Despite a few major break downs, we made a ton of money that year. I ran his one ton dump, the airport snowblower and the loader that year, because my father was recovering from an injury. The crew we had working with us was the best bunch of guys I've ever worked with. By far it was the best plowing season ever.

Looking out the window right now, all I see is snow coming down from the sky. Wish I was plowing instead of inside at my crappy job.

9. stslawncare

stslawncare Senior Member

i have not figured out any totals yet for this year but i believe its coming close to the best. hopefully its not over yet.

10. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

How long?

Almost forgot my grandfather. He drove a chevy. Before that he'd plow with his tractors. This would be late 60's through early 80's. I used to go riding with him. This is what first sparked my interest in snowplowing.

Thanks Ed:angel:

11. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Been in the business since 1988.. best year ??? they are all the same :eek: Malanta....Advil...... sleepless nites....bitchy customers...happy customers,,,,, Then it gets warm and I put the shorts on and play in the dirt. :drinkup: Heres to all who do it year round ///// year after year :waving:

12. ZR2plower

ZR2plower Member

I have been at it for 16 years and 2001 was the best so far with 16 plowable events. Our average up this way is 10-12 events. I also had a good paying carpentry job going on the side so I was really raking it in that year.:D

13. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Since going on my own 4 years ago, this has been my best season so far.:nod:

14. GARTHO

GARTHO Junior Member

Last year was my best year...But I have only been doing this for 3 years...

15. JMR

JMR Senior Member

This is going on my best year ever. 16 years of pushing snow. We average 28" per year, usually in 3-6" increments. A good year is 7 events. So far this year 38" and 6 pushes and it's only Feb. Dollar wise this year is going to be very good. Hopefully a 2-3" event tomorrow nite for push #7. All our commercial accounts have 1" triggers and residential have 2" triggers.payup payup