1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best salter for ATV

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by toolin, Dec 5, 2005.

1. toolin

toolin Junior Member

Hey guys, wondering if any of you could offer me some advice on a salter for a ATV. I've seen the earthway and agri-fab ones, but they look cheap and I'm concerned about there reliability. Anyone have any experience with them?
    My eye is really on a SnowEx 375 Mini. I've heard people having great success with them. If anyone knows, would I have to buy as speed controller for it, as it would dump to much salt otherwise? I would be using it for sidewalks (3ft wide) and would build a deflector kit myself.

2. little pat

little pat Member

You might want to try the Snowex 325. It comes with a speed control and you could put baffles on it to only spread the width of the sidewalk.

3. toolin

toolin Junior Member

Thanks. Do you, or anyone else, have any experiences with one of these on a ATV? Any disadvantages?

4. little pat

little pat Member

We had over 1 mile of sidewalk at one of our plow sights last year and the spreader was a godsend. It holds alot of material for it's size without being burdensome and does a great job of spreading. It saved us alot of time getting the job done.

5. toolin

toolin Junior Member

Was this on a ATV? Did you have to buy a speed controller?

6. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

I bought an Agri-Fab with a 175lb capacity. It's on it's third season with little or no problems and I regularly fit 200lbs. of ice melt in the hopper.
    How does the Sno-Ex attach? Is it a pull behind or does it mount to the machine? The one problem with the Agri-Fab is if you have to back up you're in trouble.

7. foggyjr5

foggyjr5 Member

Salters

The last time that I was at Cabela's i saw theirs and it looked good. I was one that mounted to the ATV itself. I am planning on getting that one next year.

8. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

We are ordering a Western 500 to put on a 325cc ATV with a converted lawn mower plow blade setup. We ordered it with just an on/off switch and got the optional deflector and top screen and it looks like it will do the job nicely. My guys say that the optional variable speed controller might be worth it though, even on an ATV. Everybody tells me it will save its cost in salt, but I am chaep and didn't want to spend a fortune on an ATV. We looked in Gander Mountain in NY and they had some 650 ATV's with salters and power angle plows on them, but they were in the $7000 range (I didn't pay that much for my 87' GMC with the 8' Western Pro Plow on it!) and although they looked fun I decided to put together a used on to see if I like it.

9. toolin

toolin Junior Member

Interesting setup. How are you mounting the salter to the atv? ON a hitch, to the rack?

10. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

I'm usually for all the bells and whistles, but a spreader on the back of an ATV is easy access while your operating the ATV. You turn around (or reach back) and adjust the lever or adjust your speed to affect how the product is spread. I'm not sure that I'd spend the money on hard wired controls. It's too easy to adjust manually.
    Also, I think the tow behind units have greater weight capacity than mounted units.

11. little pat

little pat Member

Yes we mounted the spreader to the ATV. The speed control is fully adjustable from 1-10 and has an on/off switch. As far as how it was mounted to the ATV, my partner fabricated something up but it's not that difficult. The speed controler is sold with the spreader as a package.