1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Salt Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by BMCworldwide, Jan 17, 2015.

1. BMCworldwide

BMCworldwide Junior Member
    from Indiana

Im just looking to purchase a couple salt spreaders for 2014 chevrolet silverado 2500HD.

I would like to hear you opinions.

Thanks

2. chevy2500meyer

chevy2500meyer Member

whats your budget? what dealers are near you? what are you looking to spread with (sand/salt, bulk salt, bagged salt). We need a little more info.

3. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

Are you looking for a vbox or a tailgate spreader?

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

How many do you plan on.putting that trk?

5. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Ya beat me to it diesels!

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Bahahaha.....

7. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Sniw ex 7500

8. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Junk......

9. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Because it's in a pick up he needs to save weight where he can so go poly gas motors suck so go electric
    Snow ex makes the best spreaders around I have owned over 20 since they came out and have had 0 real issues with them parts are easy to get and plenty of aftrrmarket parts as well i run one down Easter and it's good but too big for my 350 all my other are snow ex and that's all I will run for now on

Why do you say junk

10. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

just replaced all of my spreaders to the Hiniker electric auger stainless steel. Awesome unit.

11. Grassman09

Whats the idea of having a poly spreader yet a Steele frame? The worst thing that will happen to my saltdogg is the plastic will fade. I wont have to re paint or replace frame. The tie down points on the spreader are stainless same with where the spinner attaches all stainless.

12. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I will give you the steel frame is not the smartest but I painted all mine when new with undercoating and no issues on my spreaders yes on my original 8000s I learned the hard way but with little care my first 8500 is 8 years old and going strong

I hear and see at my mechanic shop horror stories with salt doggs now I never owned one but haven't read many good things about them
    I glad you have good luck with yours it's the worst thing when we spend our $ and the products don't last or stand up to the test of time plows salters trucks insurance labor is all getting out of hand and making it harder for us to profit so repair suck as well

13. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

rblake,
    how do like the Hiniker's ? What size the 6.5 ? How much did u pay for each?Been thinking about these . Local company uses them and they like them alot.

14. Grassman09

Just controller issues I've had with mine and of course backing into snowbanks bending spinner bracket. A two piece top screen would be better vs one 8' one. On the smaller saltdoggs they bolt the sreendown on the 2.5yard its held on with pins. The snowex may be lighter thinner plastic it looks like they use. So guess you can load more salt in. Snowex has come up with some innovative add on spray systems and salt tracking features.

15. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

Not sure about the snow x either , same reason, frame is metal and all ive seen are really rusty and not that old. Have 3 salt doggs 2000s and they are ok. No problems with them . Price was right , The have gone up $300 since i bought mine .That was a big selling point for me .Spread pattern could use some work. Seen u had the 2250 and its night and day difference. Will upgrading to those or an electric stainless .

16. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Boss vbx,
    You can get one for about $6000
    Has 2 vibrators and you can get it in auger or chain, also boss is pretty good to deal with.
    I had a Snowex it was alright, everything rusted though and it was a pita to fix.

17. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

Epoke......

18. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Buzzbox. So much more then a spreader.

19. Grassman09

Move over Epoke..

Schmidt Spreaders

A bunch of them in use here.

20. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Local company has a number of the Schmidt units. Hate to imagine what they cost but watching them in action is something else